none
Failed to load virtual disk service error 0x8008005

Question

• Attempting to capture the image of a Windows 2003 R2 server with a Capture media cd. I've been able to boot to the cd without problem but the wizard inevitably fails each time.

My smsts.log shows some interesting errors...

Volume C:\ has attributes 0x00000000 TSMBootstrap 

Failed to load virtual disk service. Code 0x80080005 TSMBootstrap 
    Failed to get attributes of volume D:\ due to error 0x80080005 TSMBootstrap 

I'm also seeing

Administrator account name = 'Administrator' PrepareOS 

Failed to reset the administrative password, NetAPI Error = 2245 PrepareOS 

Unable to sysprep the machine, hr=80004005 PrepareOS 

Sysprep'ing the machine failed, hr=80004005 PrepareOS
    Exiting with error code 16389 PrepareOS 1/15/2008
    Process completed with exit code 16389 TSManager 

Any help with this is appreciated.....
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:38 PM

Answers

• I'm almost certain that the failure to load the VDS is non-toxic.  The real error is the failure to reset the admin password.  2245 is NERR_PasswordTooShort.  This means that you have the password length policy enabled and ConfigMgr is failing when it tries to set the admin password to blank.  You should disable the password length, complexity, and history policies on the reference machine before you attempt to capture it.  The admin password needs to be blank in the reference image else ConfigMgr won't be able to reset it to what you specify in the Task Sequence when that image is deployed.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• I'm almost certain that the failure to load the VDS is non-toxic.  The real error is the failure to reset the admin password.  2245 is NERR_PasswordTooShort.  This means that you have the password length policy enabled and ConfigMgr is failing when it tries to set the admin password to blank.  You should disable the password length, complexity, and history policies on the reference machine before you attempt to capture it.  The admin password needs to be blank in the reference image else ConfigMgr won't be able to reset it to what you specify in the Task Sequence when that image is deployed.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Victor,

Thanks - you know, that had to be it. My colleague did not blank-out the admin password before started the capture.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:54 PM