none
PSP install & deinstall seem to fail

Question

• I've been working on getting WDS/PSP installed and configured.

I have encountered errors and I'm trying to "start fresh" by uninstalling PSP, WDS (and the MDT "Configure Configuration manager" Integration).
    I thought I had Uninstalled/deleted the PSP from SCCM but in looking at the Event logs I'm still seeing messages after choosing DELETE from the SCCM Site System Roles for PXE Service Point. After deleting the PSP from the server roles and rebooting I'm seeing the following error:
    ------ Begin of error message

On 5/11/2009 9:11:06 AM, component SMS_PXE_SERVICE_POINT on computer xxxxx reported: PXE Control Manager detected PXE service point is not responding to PXE requests. The error is 16389.

Possible cause: PXE service point is not started or not responding.

Solution: Manually restart the PXE service point.

Possible cause: WDS service is not responding.

Solution: Manually restart the WDS service.

----End of message

It seems PSP is NOT getting uninstalled/deleted/cleaned up as I desire so I can start fresh and get this working. Is there another method I should choose to get PSP deleted cleanly, so I can RE-INSTALL Cleanly?

THANKS
    Environment: Windows 2008 x64 server, SCCM R2, MDT, WDS

Monday, May 11, 2009 1:21 PM

Answers

• Yes removing the PXE Filter got me around this issue. Guess you don't (CAN'T???) use the PXE filter in R2.

Now if I can just figure out how to get a nice "front end" setup to input Computer Name, OU, and a few other variables I'll be on my way.

• Marked as answer by dndoorlag Monday, May 18, 2009 1:31 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:07 AM

All replies

• Further Information:

I've Uninstalled PSP (by choosing DELETE in the SCCM Server Role)... Role seems to dissapear.
    I then have rebooted and have tried to REINSTALL the PSP Role..

I review the PXESETUP.LOG to see if the install fails for some reason? and I see NO information in the PXESETUP.LOG even indicating an Install of the role has taken place. Last entry from PXESETUP.LOG is from 3 days ago when I had been attempting to get PXE/WDS/etc functioning properly.
    Its as if Removing the PSP role and re-adding the role are NOT uninstalling or Installing the role again/properly?

The only PXE log with updates from recent activity is the PXECONTROL.LOG which is logging information from Today.

Since I'm trying to "start over" I'd like to find a way to REMOVE the PSP role succesfully and Re-Install again to start with a clean configuration.
    Is anyone aware of a way to REMOVE the PSP role (since choosing DELETE for the role doesn't seem to be doing it)?

THANKS
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Try this -

1) Remove PSP (already done)
    2) Uninstall WDS and reboot
    3) Delete the RemoteInstall directory
    4) Reinstall WDS and reboot.
    5) Reinstall PSP role.
    6) Populate the PSP DP with a boot image
    7) Make sure the RemInst directory was created.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Chris,

I think that's my problem.. I've tried Uninstalling PSP and upon reboot I'm still receiving the error documented in the origional post... which leads me to believe PSP is NOT getting uninstalled properly.

Maybe the error on the origional post is errouneous and PSP is "fine"..

I've gone through the steps you indicated, and the PSP "service" is STARTED... Is that the true indicator that PSP is installed/working ok? Or I guess the question has evolved to HOW do you tell the PSP is installed/running properly?

THANKS

Monday, May 11, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Thanks Chris,

I've tried Uninstalling PSP and WDS and starting over 3 or 4 times.. with no change in behavior.
    The errors I'm getting after following your steps above are:
    PSP says it is Started in the SCCM Component status, but when I look at messages related to PSP for the component I'm seeing the following error:
    PXE Control Manager detected PXE service point is not responding to PXE requests.  The error is 16389.

The steps seem to indicate to Restart PSP and WDS.

I check and the WDS Service is stopped.. I attempt to restart it and the following 2 errors occur:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.PXEFilter.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

An error occurred while trying to load the module from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.PXEFilter.dll for provider Microsoft.BDD.PXEFilter. If the provider is marked as critical, the Windows Deployment Services server will be shutdown.

Error Information: 0x36B1

Any ideas as I've tried these steps a number of times with no success?

THANKS

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:16 PM
  • UPDATE:

The error with PSP and WDS appears to be related to the MDT option to "Configure WDS PXE Filter". If I removed the Filter WDS and I guess PSP appears to start with no errors.

As soon as I Implemented the "WDS PXE Filter", WDS would stop functioning with the error documented above.

Since I would like "Unknown Computer support" I believe the only way I can accomplish this is to get this PXE Filter working to allow the computer to be assigned to the Collection ID specified in the script? Or does SCCM R2 allow "Unknown Computer support" to be done without the MDT PXE Filter?

Is there a seperate Community group for the Micrsoft Deployment Toolkit? (MDT)?

THANKS

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:06 PM
  • I don't have documentation to support my answer, but I'm fairly certain that the PXE Filter does not need to be configured if your server is running R2.

At least, I'm not using it, and over the last two weeks, I've been a PXE'ing fool!

Glad you got around that issue. Nice find on the PXE filter thing.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Yes removing the PXE Filter got me around this issue. Guess you don't (CAN'T???) use the PXE filter in R2.

Now if I can just figure out how to get a nice "front end" setup to input Computer Name, OU, and a few other variables I'll be on my way.

• Marked as answer by dndoorlag Monday, May 18, 2009 1:31 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:07 AM