none
Using MDT 2010 Copy Logs Step in SCCM Task Sequence

Question

• Hi there,

We have a large and fairly complicated task sequence which accomodates for all of our different builds of machine currently as a ConfigMgr Task Sequence.

I installed MDT 2010 Update 1 last week to enable us to implement the Install Language Packs Online step as our previous attempts to install the LPs manually using DISM commands was failing for one reason or another.

Reading the MDT documentation, I see that there is a section of steps which allows the task sequence to gather the SMSTS.log file from the client and upload it to a share on the network for diagnosis and review at a later time which is perfect for my needs.

My question is, how can I implement these steps into a ConfigMgr Task Sequence using the MDT Integration without having to try and rework out existing task sequence as an MDT one? Currently if a package fails to install, it fails that OSD at that point, so it would never reach the Copy Logs phase at the end of the sequence? Do I need to configure every other package as Continue on Error first?

Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003

Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:31 PM

All replies

• no, don't use continue on error, just create a group at the end of your task sequence called FAILED. In the options tab for the group, just use the _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=False option, if it's True then the previous step has failed and you can execute your FAILED group steps. you can put your copy log steps in here. more info on this variable here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632442.aspx

_SMSTSLastActionSucceeded

The variable is set to true if the last action succeeded and to false if the last action failed. If the last action was skipped because the step was disabled or the associated condition evaluated to false, this variable is not reset, which means it still holds the value for the previous action.

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:32 PM
  • to add to the above, to use any of the mdt steps (like zticopylogs) you'll need a Use Toolkit Package step prior to any step which uses a script from your MDT Files toolkit package (this package can be created by going the the Create Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence wizard once..)

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:34 PM
  • to add to the above, to use any of the mdt steps (like zticopylogs) you'll need a Use Toolkit Package step prior to any step which uses a script from your MDT Files toolkit package (this package can be created by going the the Create Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence wizard once..)

Thanks Niall. I knew I had to include the Use Toolkit Package step, but I'm curious about your statement as to where it sits?

For example, I've got a Use Toolkit Package step way up in the sequence for Install Language Pack Online, so will I need to have a second instance of the Use Toolkit Package step for the Failed section?

Many Thanks
    Richard

Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:14 AM
  • You need it whenever you go from OS to WinPE and Back to OS again, so yes! Basically its because drive letters are assigned differently in full OS and WinPE.

Here is a post I wrote on how to add language without MDT http://blog.coretech.dk/mip/install-os-language-during-osd-the-easy-way-part-1inject-language-files/ if you should be interested!

Michael Petersen | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/author/mip/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @OSDeploy | Linkedin: Michael Petersen

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Also when using "Use toolkit package" task sequence step with "Download all Contents Locally before Starting Task Sequence" setting, remember to add <add fileExtension=".config" allowed="true" />  to the DP's IIS request filtering rule. Because MDT toolkit package contain a file OSDResults.exe.config, if DP's IIS request filtering rule is not extended for .config file, BITS job will be blocked during TS.

Another workaround, set "Access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence" option, SMB is used when running MDT toolkit package scripts.

Here is the reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2508665

Hope this will help.

Thanks

Monday, March 05, 2012 7:59 AM