none
SCVMM 2008 Installation Failure - 2927 - WinRM issues

Question

•  

I've seen a bunch of people posting about this installation issue but haven't seen any resolution.

I've got a fresh install of Windows 2008 Enterprise. I installed Hyper-V and all of the latest Windows patches. Then I went to intall SCVMM 2008, using SQL Server Express and got the "2927" error.

I uninstalled everything, then installed WAIK by itself, then tried to install SCVMM again. Same thing.

Here's the part of the log file pertaining to the install error:

11/24/2008 11:13:59 AM] Information : Copy a file
    [11/24/2008 11:13:59 AM] * Exception :  => A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server my-server.domain.com.Check that WinRM is installed and running on server my-server.domain.com. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult".Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server my-server.domain.com.
    Check that WinRM is installed and running on server my-server.domain.com. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult". ---> Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.WSManProviderException: A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server my-server.domain.com.
    Check that WinRM is installed and running on server my-server.domain.com. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult". ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x803380F7): The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.MyIWSManSession.Invoke(String actionUri, Object resourceUri, String parameters, Int32 flags)
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.WsmanAPIWrapper.Invoke(String actionUri, String url, Hashtable parameters, Type returnType, Boolean isCarmineMethod)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.ErrorContextParameterHelper.ThrowTranslatedCarmineException(COMException ce)
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.WsmanAPIWrapper.RetrieveUnderlyingWMIErrorAndThrow(SessionCacheElement sessionElement, COMException ce)
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.WsmanAPIWrapper.Invoke(String actionUri, String url, Hashtable parameters, Type returnType, Boolean isCarmineMethod)
       at Microsoft.Carmine.WSManWrappers.AgentManagement.AssociateLibrary(WsmanAPIWrapper wsmanObject, String CertificateSubjectName, String& ExportedCertificate, ErrorInfo& ErrorInfo)
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.Configurator.SetUpLibraryShare()
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.BackEnd.ConfigureServer()
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.VMInstaller.Configure()
    *** Carmine error was: HostAgentWSManError (2927); HR: 0x803380F7
    *** my-server.domain.com **
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.VMInstaller.Configure()
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Wizard.ProgressPage.InstallerThreadEntry()
    *** Carmine error was: HostAgentWSManError (2927); HR: 0x803380F7
    *** my-server.domain.com **
    [11/24/2008 11:13:59 AM] *** Error : A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server my-server.domain.com. Check that WinRM is installed and running on server my-server.domain.com. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult".
    ID: 2927. Details: Unknown error (0x803380f7)
    [11/24/2008 11:13:59 AM] Information : Virtual Machine Manager Server installation has failed.
    To return the server to its original state, you must uninstall the Virtual Machine Manager server by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. This will remove all files and components copied during installation.
    [11/24/2008 11:15:35 AM] Information : <<< Dialog >>> Progress Page : Leaving

When I run "winrm qc", it tells me "WinRM already is set up for remote management on this machine.". When I run "winrm id", I get this:

IdentifyResponse
        ProtocolVersion = http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd
        ProductVendor = Microsoft Corporation
        ProductVersion = OS: 6.0.6001 SP: 1.0 Stack: 1.1

So WinRm appears to be working.

The only issue I can think of is that the reverse IP of this machine doesn't resolve. The forward lookup works fine - it returns both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Could this have something to do with it?

Any help would be apprecaited.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:58 PM

Answers

•  

Ok, I found the solution to this problem.

The domain I was working in was at the Windows 2000 functional level. I moved my machine into another domain that's at the Windows 2003 functional level and was able to install without issue.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:19 PM

All replies

•  

A little more information...

This works:

>winrm id -r:http://localhost
    IdentifyResponse
        ProtocolVersion = http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd
        ProductVendor = Microsoft Corporation
        ProductVersion = OS: 6.0.6001 SP: 1.0 Stack: 1.1

But this does not work:

>winrm id -r:http://my-server

WSManFault
        Message = The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.

Error number:  -2144108297 0x803380F7
    The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.

>winrm id -r:http://my-server.domain.com
    WSManFault
        Message = The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.

Error number:  -2144108297 0x803380F7
    The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.

Also, it seems that winrm loses it's configuration after a reboot. If I do "winrm qc" after rebooting, it tells me it's not configured and offers to configure it for me. After that, if I do "winrm qc" again I get a message that says "WinRM already is set up for remote management on this machine."

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

Any ideas about how to correct this issue?
    Monday, December 01, 2008 6:57 PM
  •  

Ok, I found the solution to this problem.

The domain I was working in was at the Windows 2000 functional level. I moved my machine into another domain that's at the Windows 2003 functional level and was able to install without issue.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 1:19 PM
  • I am getting the same error when i try to install SCVMM 2008 on a win 2008 enterprise machine which is a member server
    (and its a Dell optiplex 755 64-bit with virtualization enabled).I have also tried to install the same on a DC which is also a
    Dell optiplex 755 64-bit with virtualization enabled but it does not work and fails with the same error.

I have the Hypre-V RTM update installed on the machines.Both machines are updated till 1st June 2009

A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server OUTLAW.DOMAIN.LOCAL.
    Check that WinRM is installed and running on server OUTLAW.DOMAIN.LOCAL.
    For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult". ID: 2927.
    Details: Unknown error (0x80338126)

The above server is a windows 2008 Enterprise 64 bit member server patched with all the latest updates except IE8
    available till 1st June 2009 The forest & domain functional level was windows 2000 and i have changed it to win 2003
    and then now to win 2008 and tried uninstall and reinstall yet geting the same error every time. And i don't believe this
    is an error related to the functional level .

This definitely has to do something with WinRM.

Though it is listening on port 80 and all exceptions are correct in Firewall..I even tried opening all incoming as well as
    outgoing traffic in the domain profile and then to Now its been exact 10 times that i have tried installation
    and (uninstallation,reboot included) with different settings on the system.Sometimes creating a new db or a new SQL
    instance or disabling rebooting and then re enabling the Winrm.But nothing helped.. I have got the same error every time.

When i tried to connect to this server using WinRM from the DC.I got the following error.

C:\Users\Administrator>winrs -r:outlaw cmd

Winrs error:The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified.
    Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall
    exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.

So its definitely something to do with WinRM.

When we check the event log we get "Event 10149 in system logs in admin events." EVENT 10149 ====================================================================================
    The WinRM service is not listening for WS-Management requests.
     User Action If you did not intentionally stop the service,

use the following command to see the WinRM configuration: winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener

====================================================================================

The output of WInRM listener on my server is as follows.

C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN>winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener
    Listener Address = *
    Transport = HTTP Port = 80
    Hostname Enabled = true
    URLPrefix = wsman
    CertificateThumbprint
    ListeningOn = 10.130.121.4, 127.0.0.1, ::1, fe80::100:7f:fffe%10, fe80::5efe :10.130.121.4%15

And interestingly the output of the following command shows something else..

C:\Users\administrator.DOMAIN>winrm id -r:http://localhost
    WSManFault
    Message = The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is
    valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.
    Error number: -2144108250 0x80338126

The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and
    is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.

One more insight into the issue. Check the following link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrsetup/thread/ea77394e-1837-40ae-823a-fa609442bd30

When the scenario in the above link is taken into consideration it means that the SCVMM 2008 will install on the win 2008 RC0
    version which was released earlier to RTM so if going by the above blog we can say that if we follow the following steps it may work.

1. Install a bare bone windows 2008 RC0 system
    2. Then install SCVMM 2008
    3. Then update the server with all the patches till date.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this error......Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Shashi

Monday, June 08, 2009 10:16 AM
  • After battling with the same exact problem for many hours, I finally found what my problem was and fixed this. I am now able to deploy SCVMM client to my hyperv server.

The problem was because a stupid Supermicro management software was running and hijacking the port 80 of the server. WinRM apparently needs to have port 80 exclusive by itself in order to SCVMM to run properly. So I had to hunt down the services that is conflicting and killed it.

After server reboot, SCVMM client installed just fine.

To answer your question, both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled by default on the server is not a problem. I have 7 hyperv boxes running just fine with it.

Hope this post helps someone and avoid having ppl spend hours on this same issue. I have to spend 10 minutes to figure out how to post here, so I hope its worth it :)

Ed
    • Proposed as answer by metalheadz Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:40 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Hello ed 4t wowrack.com Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

your answer was the rescue of the late evening for me. Thank you very much for your answer it was 100 percent the solution of my problem.

supermicro server support tools have to remove from the server, one reboot and than the scvmm works. Only to disable the services dont work.
    • Proposed as answer by Shashi Shailaj Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:07 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:42 PM
  • You are absolutely right ED. The reason is that WinRM listens on port 80 and even though it is said that it can share port 80 with IIS .. It didn't happen in my case. There may be something more which need to be taken care of before you could enable winRM and run IIS as well on the same machine.
    --And once i uninstalled IIS i was able to install the SCVMM 2008 without a problem.
    --So the gist of the story is that WInRM service exclusively uses port 80.. SO we must make sure that the port 80 is free.

• Proposed as answer by Shashi Shailaj Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:07 PM
    Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Be sure the "WinRM IIS Extension" is installed in Add Features of 2008 R2
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:49 AM
  • This product is frustrating me to the point of abandoning its use.  Does vCenter give me as much grief when trying to install?  No, it just works.

I've removed the webserver, ensured winrm is working, ensured my domain level is set correctly and I still get the same error.  I've tried installing on a physical server and a VM to no avail.

If MS wants to compete with VMWare, they need to take care of this problem in SCVMM installation.

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:16 PM
  • This product contains no informational help on setting up the SCVMM on a server 2008 R2. Everything has a check box, everything appears ok. Never installs, never works. very disappointed with this product.

I think I'l head onto the route of the vCenter, seems to be abit more intelligent.

Monday, August 29, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Our situation was similar in that we use TeamViewer Host on all our machines for remote management.  In the options tab of the application under advanced settings there is a setting "Don't use incoming ports 80 and 443".  By selecting this option we cleared up the problem on our SCCVMM.

Jeff Shaffer

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Thank you .  I got the same issue.  Port 80 was in use by vCenter software on the same server.  Just tried http://localhost and observed port 80 is in use. I stopped vCenter services , set them to manual mode.  If port 80 is in use, may be try installing VMM software on a different port might also work, I did not try that.
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:35 AM