none
'The user is not authorised to connect to this server'

Question

• Hi there,

Am having trouble connecting to the site database server from my desktop personal administrator profile. I have installed SCCM on other desktops/laptops and have been able to use it with no problems, however when I try to connect from this desktop I am presented with the following error message from the Database Connection Wizard, "The user is not authorised to connect to this server". Would anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to overcome this issue? Many Thanks.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you are saying that the same account works on other desktops, but not this one, then that pretty well leads to the scenario where you've got something on this one desktop that is preventing the connection. Could be DCOM as we do require that.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 4:00 PM
    Owner
  • I get the same error message when I try to connect with a user that is not administrator of the site server.

The user that gets the error message is member of the sms admins group.

I've also set dcom permissions according to the article "

How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" but it does not solved the problem.

Here is the content of SmsAdminUI.log:

[9][24/11/2008 09:36:21] :Insufficient privilege to connect, error: 'Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))'\r\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\n
    [9][24/11/2008 09:36:21] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Administrator console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify your user has read permissions to the ConfigMgr site and then try to connect again.
    \r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.BuildTreeWorker()\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
    \r\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\n
    [24/11/2008 09:36:35] : System.Net.WebException\r\nThe remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.\r\n   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSnapInBase.IsUriAvailable(String uri)\r\n
    [24/11/2008 09:36:35] : System.Net.WebException\r\nThe remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.\r\n   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSnapInBase.IsUriAvailable(String uri)\r\n
    [24/11/2008 09:37:59] :Failure while loading required 'WQL' query engine, console cannot connect

Adding the user to the administrators group solves the problem but is not a good solution.

I've tried to install the console on windows Vista enterprise SP1 and Windows XP pro SP3

Thanks for your help

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Some additional information, it seems that the problem is related to WMI permissions.

I've run the test described in the article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932190.aspx

It works fine if wbemtest is run on the site server but does not work from the computer where my console is installed

Any ideas ?

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Have you tried this stuff?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694158.aspx

There is a section on connectivity as well as WMI permissions.

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:06 PM
    Owner
  • I've tried this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932190.aspx

It works locally on the site server but not remotely

So, I've checked permissions on DCOM and WMI but found nothing special.

Our site server is a windows 2008 server, is there something more to do ?

Thanks for your answer

Michel

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:48 AM
  • Firewall?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:27 AM
  • Yes, firewall is on but since remote console works for a user that is admin of the site server, i don't think this issue is related to the firewall. I am right ?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:24 AM
  • Yes, that's true. Didn't see that in the former problem descriptions.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Ok, problem solved !

When you add a user to the sms admins group, you also need to add it to the Distributed COM Users local group

This problem is know at Microsoft : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913000/en-us

Friday, November 28, 2008 9:18 AM
  • And don't we mention the DCOM security rights in our product documentation? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633148.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Bugbear_ Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:08 AM
    Monday, December 08, 2008 1:22 AM
    Owner
  •  

Distributed COM Users are not mentioned in this article. I should be nice to add it !

Monday, December 08, 2008 7:37 AM