none
Not getting any data back from Exchagne 2010 servers

Question

• Hello everyone,

I can't seem to get any Exchange 2010 related data out of SCE 2010. Everything else with regards to SCE on the server seems to be working fine, I can get Windows OS information out of the servers but when I go to get any performance data about Exchange 2010 I don’t see anything. I have the Management pack installed and active. This is happening on all my four Exchange 2010 server. I'm using SCE 2010. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:45 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Would you please let us know how you check the performance data? Please see if you can get data via reports:

Exchange 2010 Management Pack Guide – Reports

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758042(EXCHG.140).aspx

Meanwhile, please also check the settings and configurations referring to the management pack guide and the following post:

Guidance, Tuning and Known Issues for the Exchange 2010 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2011/08/18/guidance-tuning-and-known-issues-for-the-exchange-2010-management-pack-for-system-center-operations-manager-2007.aspx

If the issue persists, please check the Event Log on the management server and the exchange server; if there are any related errors, please let us know the details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Divide1 Monday, November 14, 2011 2:30 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Thanks so very much Nicholas.

The solution was in the Guidance article you provide above. The problem was that my Exchange 2010 servers are all part of a cluster using MS clustering service and NLB. Below you will find the resoltion instructions. Thanks again Niclolas much appricated!!

Symptoms
    Using System Center Operations Manager 2007, you import the Exchange 2010 Management Pack. As per the Exchange 2010 MP guide, all the object discovery rules are enabled by default and should automatically discover all Exchange 2010 roles and start monitoring them. This does not happen, thus you face a problem where none of the Exchange 2010 Server roles are getting discovered or getting monitored. It also does not log any error or throw any alert saying that discovery failed.

Causes
    · This can occur if you install the 32-bit (x86) agent on a 64-bit (x64) based operating system or platform.
    · This can happen if your Exchange 2010 Server roles are clustered. For example, the Mailbox server role or CAS server role is installed on Windows Cluster Server.

Resolutions
    · Install the proper agent for the platform or OS hosting the Exchange Server roles.
    · Make sure that OpsMgr 2007 R2 Agent is installed on all clustered nodes. Then from the OpsMgr Console -> Administration pane -> Device Management -> Agent Managed, go to each and every agent computer and from the security tab, enable the Agent Proxy check box. Restart System Center Management Service on each agent computer after doing this and within few minutes all Exchange 2010 Server roles should get discovered and monitored as expected.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:32 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Would you please let us know how you check the performance data? Please see if you can get data via reports:

Exchange 2010 Management Pack Guide – Reports

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758042(EXCHG.140).aspx

Meanwhile, please also check the settings and configurations referring to the management pack guide and the following post:

Guidance, Tuning and Known Issues for the Exchange 2010 Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2011/08/18/guidance-tuning-and-known-issues-for-the-exchange-2010-management-pack-for-system-center-operations-manager-2007.aspx

If the issue persists, please check the Event Log on the management server and the exchange server; if there are any related errors, please let us know the details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Divide1 Monday, November 14, 2011 2:30 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:31 AM
  • Thanks so very much Nicholas.

The solution was in the Guidance article you provide above. The problem was that my Exchange 2010 servers are all part of a cluster using MS clustering service and NLB. Below you will find the resoltion instructions. Thanks again Niclolas much appricated!!

Symptoms
    Using System Center Operations Manager 2007, you import the Exchange 2010 Management Pack. As per the Exchange 2010 MP guide, all the object discovery rules are enabled by default and should automatically discover all Exchange 2010 roles and start monitoring them. This does not happen, thus you face a problem where none of the Exchange 2010 Server roles are getting discovered or getting monitored. It also does not log any error or throw any alert saying that discovery failed.

Causes
    · This can occur if you install the 32-bit (x86) agent on a 64-bit (x64) based operating system or platform.
    · This can happen if your Exchange 2010 Server roles are clustered. For example, the Mailbox server role or CAS server role is installed on Windows Cluster Server.

Resolutions
    · Install the proper agent for the platform or OS hosting the Exchange Server roles.
    · Make sure that OpsMgr 2007 R2 Agent is installed on all clustered nodes. Then from the OpsMgr Console -> Administration pane -> Device Management -> Agent Managed, go to each and every agent computer and from the security tab, enable the Agent Proxy check box. Restart System Center Management Service on each agent computer after doing this and within few minutes all Exchange 2010 Server roles should get discovered and monitored as expected.

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:32 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to know the issue has been resolved and hope the information with help other users who meet the similar issue. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products or if you have any feedbacks, you are also welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:49 AM