none
WNetAddConnection2 failed errors trying to install the client

Question

• That's the errors I'm getting on 3 machines.

Here's what's weird. I got the same error on a machine that in the troubleshooting phase, I found had all the necessary permissions for the client installation account to use. The Domain Admins group was in the Local Administrators group, I was able to use the account in question to map a drive to both the Admin$ and C$ shares, both in Explorer and Command Prompt. That was last night (12/13), this morning, I check the Client Deployment Failure report and the machine was showing a reboot was needed. Not only that, but in the query based collection I've created, the machine is now showing as a client.

So, what do these error messages really mean? In SMS 2003, error 5 means access denied which is 9 times out of 10 it's related to  permissions. However, in this case, all the permissions were in place and the client eventually installed. In fact, another machine was getting the same errors and it has finally installed.

SO, how do I troubleshoot these potentially false alarms?

(The errors in the log)

WNetAddConnection2 failed (LOGON32_LOGON_NEW_CREDENTIALS) using account <Domain>\sccmadmin (000004b3) SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    WNetAddConnection2 failed (LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE) using account <domain>\sccmadmin (000004b3) SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    Attempting to connect to administrative share '\\<machine name>\admin$' using machine account. SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    Failed to get token for current process (5) SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    ERROR: Failed to connect to the \\<mahcine naem>\admin$ share using account 'Machine Account' SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    ERROR: Unable to access target machine for request: "FQDN mchine name", machine name: "NETBios name", error code: 5 SMS_CLIENT_CONFIG_MANAGER 12/14/2007 8:19:33 AM 3760 (0x0EB0)
    The machine anmes and domain names have been changed for security.
    • Moved by Carol BaileyMicrosoft employee Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:33 PM Moving from Internet Clients & Native Mode forum - see nothing here denotes native mode & would get better respoonse in Setup/Deployment forum (From:Configuration Manager Internet Clients and Native Mode)
    Friday, December 14, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• These are Windows errors codes, not specific to SMS 2003 or SCCM. So yes, an error 5 is access denied. The error states that the computer account of the site server is not a local admin on the target clients. That is expected, unless you actually did make the site server computer a domain admin or local admin on the clients.

The other error is 4b3, which equates to no network provider was available for this request.

I'll guess that if you look later in the same Ccm.log, you'll see that the request was retried automatically, which we do for a max of 7 days, and that this succeeded later on.

Friday, January 04, 2008 11:59 PM
    Owner

All replies

• These are Windows errors codes, not specific to SMS 2003 or SCCM. So yes, an error 5 is access denied. The error states that the computer account of the site server is not a local admin on the target clients. That is expected, unless you actually did make the site server computer a domain admin or local admin on the clients.

The other error is 4b3, which equates to no network provider was available for this request.

I'll guess that if you look later in the same Ccm.log, you'll see that the request was retried automatically, which we do for a max of 7 days, and that this succeeded later on.

Friday, January 04, 2008 11:59 PM
    Owner
  • I am having the same identical problem, but only for one site.  The Central Site Server is a domain admin, and the Secondary Site Server is a Distribution Point as well as the Management Point for the secondary site, which pushes the client install.  We have been having success pushing the clients at all other sites without making the secondary site servers domain administrators.  The account we use to push the client is a domain admin as well, and is not locked out as we would be getting a different error code.

Is there any other information available to find out why?  It has to be a small issue because our 100+ sites all have Windows Server 2003 Management Points and a similar configuration.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:53 PM