none
SCVMM 2012 - Unable to Migrate Because of the Processor.

Question

• I have 3 clustered Windows Server 2008R2 hosts.  Clustered Shared Storage from a iSCSI server(single LUN), and one VM (Windows Server 2008R2).

My goal is to start creating multiple VM's and have them Dynamically Optimize their VM's across all 3 hosts.

Using Fail-over Cluster Manager on any one of the hosts I can successfully Live Migrate a VM from one host to another.

I have installed SCVMM 2012 and attempted to live migrate but I get the following error message on all of the hosts:  "Unable to migrate or clone the virtual machine XXX because the processor is not compatible with the host. To be migrated or cloned, the virtual machine must be stopped and should not contain any saved state or live checkpoints."

I have the option enabled for "Allow Migration to a VM host with a different processor."

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

-Mike

• Edited by MrBreton Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:10 PM clarity
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I made a test. When I migrate virtual machines from one host to another with VMM 2008 R2 everything works fine, but when I migrate the same VM's with a same HW configuration with the VMM 2012 RC i've got error like you. I'm not 100% sure, but seems like bug in VMM 2012 RC. I should mention that I do not use clustering machines in this scenario.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Blog: Admin troubles
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
    • Marked as answer by MrBreton Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

From my experience you must turn off the VM and then mark "Allow Migration to a VM host with a different processor." and also remove all virtual adapters assigned to this VM.
    After that you can to Migrate Virtual Machine to another host. I'm not sure is this a bug on VMM 2012 RC, we will see when full version be available.

NOTE: Virtual Machine need to be turned off.

I hope this answer could help you.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Hello Mike,

From my experience you must turn off the VM and then mark "Allow Migration to a VM host with a different processor." and also remove all virtual adapters assigned to this VM.
    After that you can to Migrate Virtual Machine to another host. I'm not sure is this a bug on VMM 2012 RC, we will see when full version be available.

NOTE: Virtual Machine need to be turned off.

I hope this answer could help you.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP

This is not needed in my situation because I can successfully Live Migrate using Failover Cluster Manager.  And to be able to do that I had matching networks, and I already had "Allow Migration to a VM host with a different processor."

Plus I get this error with 100% identical hardware.

Plus I get this error when selecting the server the VM is already successfully running on.

-Mike
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I made a test. When I migrate virtual machines from one host to another with VMM 2008 R2 everything works fine, but when I migrate the same VM's with a same HW configuration with the VMM 2012 RC i've got error like you. I'm not 100% sure, but seems like bug in VMM 2012 RC. I should mention that I do not use clustering machines in this scenario.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    • Marked as answer by MrBreton Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Thanks for confirming this for me.

-Mike
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:15 PM
  • We have the same problem!

It is impossible to migrate virtual machines by scvmm 2012 when it is possible to do by failover cluster manager console. Am I right? Will it be corrected in SCVMM 2012 RTM?

Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I can confirm this issue. Live Migration works like a charm with the Failover Cluster console. Live Migration also works if I use "Optimize Hosts" on the HyperV Cluster in SCVMM. Probably just a bug that will get fixed eventually.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Same issue here.... 2 node cluster
    Node 1: 2 Intel Xeon Processors
    Node 2: 1 Intel Quacore Processor
    Live Migration works fine through the cluster management mmc, Live Migration gives the "unable to migrate or clone the virtual machine because the processor is not compatible with the host" error....

Furthermore, I also get a error that it can't be Live Migrated because the VM is placed on a CSV.... Which is quite strange, because that should be one of the basic principles of Live Migration.. :-)

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:41 PM