none
Installation failure with cmd.exe

Question

• hello everybody!

i want to install a software package, like firefox.

i write a script for this package with following lines:

start /wait Firefox_Setup_2.0.0.11.exe /S /INI=.\firefox.ini
    regini .\Reg\Firefox20011.ini > NUL

in the sce console i created a new software package.
    the installationsparameter is /c install.cmd.
    i deploy thsi package for all clients.

a few minutes later i get an error message from the sce console: 0x80070643
    i get this error message on every software package that i created with the batch file.

i cannot find the solution in this forum or in the internet. please help me.

cu freezooner
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As Ty mentioned, we can not indicate the cause by error code we've got in this specific scenario. So it may hard to determine what is the root cause. However, based on my experience, the only difference between run

the CMD local and run by SCE deployed is that when SCE deployed the CMD.exe , the installation process will run under system account.So I would like to suggest check the following: 

1. Download PsExec tool from this website:  http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/PsTools.zip

2. Extract the file to the folder where cmd.exe and firefoxe.exe exists.

3.  Open a command prompt, navigate to the PsExec tool folder.

4.  Please run “psexec -i -d -s cmd /C PathTofirefox.cmd” to open a new command prompt to perform the installation.

If it cannot run under System accoutn, I suspect the problem is due to permission issue.

Also, if possible, please check on client for related firefox installation log(If it exists.).

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This error message indicates that the user who is running software distribution does not have System Administrator permissions in SQL Server. Below is a KB article which related to this issue, for your reference:

Error message when you use Windows Server Update Services Setup: "Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920660/en-us

Also, please make sure the RunAsAccount you are using have domain admin permission. And please contact Firefox's support to confirm the parameters are supported.

Hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:08 AM
  • so i changed the settings like the link from Guo-Zhen Wang - MSFT.

after the reboot i created a new software package, but is the same package above.
    after a few minutes i get the same error message.

the manuel installation of this skript on the client works succesfully, but not the automatically installation by the sce.

i control all settings, like sce, sql, iis and wsus. i cannot find a mistake.

cu freezooner
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

We may need more information for further analysis, please help to collect %windir%\windowsupdate.log and c:\program files\update servicse\logfiles\softwaredistribution.log on problematic computer, and send them to

scedata@microsoft.com.

Note:

Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Installation failure with cmd.exe
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2907746&SiteID=17
    Guo-zhen Wang - MSFT

Regarding more information about how to send email to SCEDATA@microsoft.com, please refer to:

How to send files to the Microsoft SCE team for review
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1680389&SiteID=17

Post a quick note in the current thread after sending the email.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, March 03, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Hello mr. Wang!

Last week i'd send the the following two log files to the adress
    SCEDATA@microsoft.com:
    windowsupdate.log
    softwaredistribution.log

But i did not get an answer and so on. so the problem is not soluted.

cu freezooner

Monday, March 03, 2008 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

I've checked again and find the mail you send to me. Sorry about that.

According to your log, the issue may due to Microsoft Office Source Engine (Ose.exe) is disabled or the Ose.exe file is corrupted.  I would like to suggest to check the following:

Method 1: Determine the status of the Office Source Engine service
    To determine the status of the Office Source Engine service, follow these steps:

1.  Click Start, click Run, type services.msc , and then click OK. 
    2.  In the list of services, double-click Office Source Engine. 
    3.  View the Startup type list. 
    4.  If the startup type is set to Disabled, change the startup type to Manual. To do this, click Manual in the Startup type list, and then click OK. 
    5.  Try to deploy the software again.

Method 2: Repair the Ose.exe file

To repair the Ose.exe file, copy the Ose.exe file from the Office 2003 CD. To do this, follow these steps:

1.  Determine where the Ose.exe file is located. By default, the Ose.exe file is in the following location:

path: \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine\ 

2.  Insert the Office 2003 CD in the CD drive. 
    3.  Right-click Start, and then click Explore. 
    4.  Use Microsoft Windows Explorer to locate the following folder on the Office 2003 CD:

path: \Files\Setup 

5.  Right-click the Ose.exe file, and then click Copy. 
    6.  Locate and then click to select the folder in which the Ose.exe file is located on the computer. For example, locate and then click to select the following folder:

path: \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine 

7.  Right-click the Source Engine folder, and then click Paste. 
    8.  If you are prompted to replace an existing file, click Yes.  

By the way, I have tried to repro this issue. But I am failed to run the script. However, if I use only:

start /wait Firefox_Setup_2.0.0.11.exe

Then the script can be run and deploy correctly. If possible, please try to adjust the cmd file as a test. Also, we strongly recommand that deploying the install execute file directly through SCE.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:22 AM
  • hello!

i checked that services and the service Office Source Engine is manually running.
    after that i replaced the file
    Ose.exe.

during i checked the services.msc i saw that the service bits is not running. so i started this service.

after all i created a new software package with the new cmd lines from above, but a few minutes later i get the same error message.

i tried to install the software about "add new programs" in the control panel "add or remove programs".
    i see there the package but if i want to install this package i get the message "Failed".

cu freezooner
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm with you about that you had put the cmd.exe and firefox.exe in one seperated folder when creating the package? Also, make sure the checkbox "Include all filesand all sub-folders in this location" while creating software package. Or it will only include the cmd.exe and the batch file but not the exact install executive file.

Hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:56 AM
  • hello!

all files are in one folder. (cmd.exe, install.cmd and firefox.exe)
    i select the checkbox "Include all files and all sub-folders in this location"

the problem is not soluted.

cu freezooner
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 8:03 AM
  •  

Freezooner -

I looked over this post, and it appears that you are attempting to use SCE SD in an unorthodox manner (not right or wrong, but different)  :-)  If I understand your scenario correctly, you want to "bootstrap" the installation through the use of CMD.EXE, and essentially script the installation through a paramater call to CMD. 

If that is the case, then I think I can see why you are getting part of your failures, but note that this model of software distrubiton is a bit unusual.  I will first try to assist you with getting the error message remedied.  It does not indicate from the post whether or not your original install was successful when the 8007643 error returned.  The problem is that Windows Update Agent is expecting some sort of result code from the launching application (in this case it would be CMD.EXE)  When it does not return anything back (which it was not programmed to in your CMD file), then it presumes the installation failed and sends back a generic "643" E_Fail error.  I can see that you also intend to write a series of registry entries which would be contained in a .INI file.  It would help in the troubleshooting scenario to learn what if any progress is made during the installation in the reading, or executing of this .CMD file. 

Presuming that this will work with the Windows Update Agent, I recommend taking a slightly different scripting tack; try wrapping up cscript.exe, and producing a Jscript script with the intended actions.  At the end, ensure that you specify a return of 0.  IIRC, cscript.exe will hand off it's return value to the calling application (Windows Update Agent in this case). 

Without understanding the need for the extra registry settings, I am at a loss to give you different deployment guidance.  It would stand to reason that you could simply deploy firefox like any other .exe application, and let the installations happen.  Not sure why all of this extra "wrapping" is needed.

Hope this helps!

/Ty

Friday, March 07, 2008 1:32 AM
  • hello ty!

the administrators in our company wrote for every software a cmd script. (for special registry, security and so on)
    we won't to use or to write cscript.

the sce works very good with cmd scripts but not in my test scenario.

the installation of msi and exe file works successfully.

cu freezooner
    Friday, March 07, 2008 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

May I know more information about your test environment topology information? Also, if possible, please consult your company's administrators for script issue, make sure it is correctly.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:01 AM
  • hello,

all scripts works correctly.
    for a lot of months we used the systems management server and for this system we have written all these scripts. when i install this scripst manueally so i did not get an error.

cu freezooner
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

As Ty mentioned, we can not indicate the cause by error code we've got in this specific scenario. So it may hard to determine what is the root cause. However, based on my experience, the only difference between run

the CMD local and run by SCE deployed is that when SCE deployed the CMD.exe , the installation process will run under system account.So I would like to suggest check the following: 

1. Download PsExec tool from this website:  http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/PsTools.zip

2. Extract the file to the folder where cmd.exe and firefoxe.exe exists.

3.  Open a command prompt, navigate to the PsExec tool folder.

4.  Please run “psexec -i -d -s cmd /C PathTofirefox.cmd” to open a new command prompt to perform the installation.

If it cannot run under System accoutn, I suspect the problem is due to permission issue.

Also, if possible, please check on client for related firefox installation log(If it exists.).

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:35 AM