none
Branch Distribution points

Question

• I have a sccm 2007 sp2 hierarchy.  I have 1 site system servering as MP, DP, SLP, update server, reporting point.  I have 130 windows 2008 file servers (at remote locations)  that I want to make bDP.  Do I need to install BITS, RDC and IIS on each one of them?  Then my question is can I use a script to add them as bDP into the sccm hierarchy (using BITS, and specified boundaries).  The boundary for the bDP can it be and AD site even though I used a subnet range for the site boundary.
    Friday, February 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Answers

• I think I figured it out.  I do not need to remove the IP range boundary but I do need to add all of my AD sites as boundaries so I can use protectd bDP. 
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Overlapping boundaries are generally not a good idea.  There is an excellent tool called SiteBound that you can use to create large numbers of boundaries.

Also, please remember that you must have at least one BITS-enabled standard distribution point to support branch distribution points.  The BDPs will download their content from a BITS-enabled DP over http(s), then clients will download their content from the BDPs over SMB.

Nicholas Jones, MCITP® Core Infrastructure Consultant | Sparkhound https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/nicholas.jones/profile

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:40 PM
  • thank you for the explanation of the overlapping boundaries.  I guess I should use all AD boundaries for the shear fact that I want to use protected bDP. 

I like the IP range because its easiy to setup but AD boundaries offer more control.

• Marked as answer by MOFMAN Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:23 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 9:16 PM

All replies

• The requirements are listed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680335.aspx

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:28 PM
  • The requirements say that IIS is not required.  If I want to use BITS on the bDP IIS gets installed.  Do I need BITS (it is enabled on the central server).  If not then the only feature I need to add is RDC to the file servers.

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:25 PM
  • My entire sccm hierachy has 1 IP range boundary.  That is because our environment has 130 class C subnets which all fall under a single class B subnet.  I created a bDP and when I went to specify the boundary I could only select the single site IP range boundary.  So I guess I cant define a IP range for a boundary within the bDP (I cant select AD sites either).
    Friday, February 17, 2012 3:15 PM
  • For BDP's You can use the BITS tab of the Configuration Manager 2007 Computer Client in the Console... and you set the Bandwidth throtlling... see below...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633140.aspx

his tab contains the following elements:

Not Configured
    Select this option to disable BITS bandwidth throttling. If you select this option, no bandwidth throttling will be used by Configuration Manager 2007 clients or by any branch distribution points.

Apply to branch distribution points only
    Select this option to apply BITS bandwidth throttling to branch distribution points only. If you select this option, branch distribution points will download new content using the BITS settings specified.

Apply to branch distribution points and all clients
    Select this option to apply BITS throttling to all branch distribution points and Configuration Manager 2007 clients. If this option is selected, all Configuration Manager 2007 clients and branch distribution points will use the BITS settings specified.

Throttling window start time
    Specify the start time in local time that the BITS throttling window should begin.

Throttling window end time
    Specify the end time in local time that the BITS throttling window should end. If this value is the same as the Throttling window start time, BITS throttling is always enabled.

Maximum transfer rate during of throttling window (Kbps)
    Specify the maximum transfer rate in (Kbps) that can be used by Configuration Manager 2007 clients during the specified BITS throttling window.

Allow BITS downloads outside of the throttling window
    Select this option to allow BITS downloads outside of the throttling window. This option allows Configuration Manager 2007 clients to use separate BITS settings outside of the specified window.

Maximum transfer rate outside of throttling window (Kbps)
    Specify the maximum transfer rate in (Kbps) that will be used by Configuration Manager 2007 clients when outside of the specified BITS throttling window. This option can be configured only when you have selected to allow BITS throttling outside of the specified window.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:33 PM
  • alright so I only need to turn RDC on for my bDP.  Why is it that when I add the bDP to the site hierarchy (I assign the AD SITE as a protected boundary, specify the drive and the size) the actual smspkg$ directory doesnt get created and in system status (on the sccm console) the bDP shows critical

do I need to set up the distribution groups? 

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:41 PM
  • No need for distribution groups. That directory will only be created after the first package made it to the BDP.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Ok so I dont need to worry about changing my boundary from IP range to AD Site (thats a releif).  When I was playing with  groups it looked as if I would need to change my boundary.  What is the purpose of the distribution groups? 

As for the directory.  I updated one of my current packages to include the bDP.  After 24 hours nothing has published to it (I even manually updated distribution points for that package).  In system status the bDP shows critical state (unknown for disk space).  So my question is, to publish a package to a bDP is there a different procedure?

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:08 PM
  • I hope, you're NOT getting confused with ConfigMgr 2012 and ConfigMgr 2007 distribution point GROUP.

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

User Group:  ConfigMgr Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:42 PM
  • groups  are an option in 2007 (that is why I ask).  When I set the hierarcyhy up I used 1 class b IP range to cover all my class C subnets (123.123.1.1 - 123.123.254.254) 255.255.0.0 for a mask.  Correct me if I am wrong but in order to stop clients in site A (123.123.1.2) from downloading a package across the WAN in site B (123.123.2.1) I would need to use a protected distribution point.  In order to create a protected bDP I would need to add each AD SITE to my boundaries would I then need to remove the IP range boundary or could I leave it there incase I miss an AD site?
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:28 AM
  • I think I figured it out.  I do not need to remove the IP range boundary but I do need to add all of my AD sites as boundaries so I can use protectd bDP. 
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Overlapping boundaries are generally not a good idea.  There is an excellent tool called SiteBound that you can use to create large numbers of boundaries.

Also, please remember that you must have at least one BITS-enabled standard distribution point to support branch distribution points.  The BDPs will download their content from a BITS-enabled DP over http(s), then clients will download their content from the BDPs over SMB.

Nicholas Jones, MCITP® Core Infrastructure Consultant | Sparkhound https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/nicholas.jones/profile

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:40 PM
  • I do have my main Mp/Dp with BITS enabled.  I do have the sitbound tool and was planning  on using it.  But arent overlapping boundaries when 2 site codes use the same boundary?  I was only going to leave the iprange in there to ensure new subnets are covered if the Ad site is not added. I agree for simplicity I should add the AD sites and remove the IP range but I am wondering if it would make sense to leave the as my limited testing shows that clients were downloadinG packages from the bDP in their site (using SMB).

Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:15 PM
  •  An overlapping boundary is when one client is in more than one boundary.  It's not supported.  A better method would be to create a boundary for each physical location.  If clients appear as unassigned, then you know you need to go create a boundary for that physical location.

In a perfect world, I like using AD sites.  Realistically, lots of entities do not have perfect AD sites, so I typically advise people to use subnet or IP range boundaries.

Clients will use a distribution point in their local subnet, if it exists and is available, which explains the behaviour that you've witnessed.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:08 PM
  • thank you for the explanation of the overlapping boundaries.  I guess I should use all AD boundaries for the shear fact that I want to use protected bDP. 

I like the IP range because its easiy to setup but AD boundaries offer more control.

• Marked as answer by MOFMAN Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:23 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 9:16 PM