none
The Virtual Machine Manager Service is not available

Question

•  

I was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue.  I had configured my Hyper-V host to allow non-administrators run the Hyper-V Manager mmc remotely from a Vista SP1 machine and all was working fine, until I installed Virtual Machine Manager 2008 to manage my Hyper-V host. Now when I try to manage my Hyper-V server remotely, through the Hyper-V Manager mmc I get, "The Virtual Machine Manager Service is not available. However, I have no issues when I run Hyper-V Manager as a user that is an Admin on the Hyper-V server.

I have verified that KB952627 is installed on the Vista SP1 machine and the RTM version of Hyper-V is running on the server. All security settings seem to be in place to allow for remote, non-admin management, but I have a feeling that VMM08 is stepping on something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:45 PM

Answers

• Collect a trace on this using the instructions for trace collection posted in SCVMM general forum and send them to me.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Collect a trace on this using the instructions for trace collection posted in SCVMM general forum and send them to me.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:04 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you for your post and for finding the relation between VMM 2008 and remote Hyper-V management with a non-local Admin user. I faced exactly the same issue and after reading your post I uninstalled the VMM agent, restarted the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service and I was able to manage the Hyper-V host with a user that is not member of the local Admins group of the Hyper-V host.

Do you have some more information why this happens? And is it possible to manage a Hyper-V host with SC VMM 2008 and at the same time being able to remotely administer it with non-admin account?

Carmen, is this a bug in the current beta of SC VMM and if so - is it on the track to be addressed in the RTM of SC VMM 2008?

Thanks,

Lubo.

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:10 PM
  • I have been having the same issue and figured out that it was related to a user who does not have admin rights. With my admin accounts I am able to see all Hyper-V manager servers. How do you go about uninstalling the VMM agent? I have restarted the Services for Hyper-V but that didn't do the trick but I have been unable to find out how to get rid of VMM agent.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Hi Paul,

You can uninstall the VMM agent either from the SC VMM 2008 console by removing the host that is your Hyper-V server, or from "Programs And Features" on the Hyper-V box if it is a FULL installation of Server 2008.

Hope that help,

Lubo.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Carmen,

I have been out for a while and I apologize for not posting sooner. I took a look at the instructions for collecting traces and I do have one question. The error occurs when using the Hyper-V mmc snap-in, so will the VMM trace instructions cover this type of scenario? If it will, let me know and I will get them posted shortly.

Thanks,
    Mark  

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 2:25 PM
  • there have any resolving this issue continuing to VMM 2012?

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:40 PM