none
Trouble converting an ESXi vm to hyper-v using SCE

Question

• After a bit of patience and fumbling, I had success coverting an ESXi Vm to Hyper-V

On my second try -

I copy the files from the ESX datastore to the VM library on the SCE server. The vmdk creates as "machinename-flat.vmdk". I am not sure if that is a factor or what. I continue through the wizard; the machine creates but it looks like the hard drive never creates. Sce reports that the import completed with warnings

Warning 3243 - the operating system, file system, or disk layout is not recognized.

Do I need to run some maintenance on the vmdk file before I try to convert? I found this trying to understand why the vmdk adds "flat". http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002511

Thank you

Monday, September 12, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Pardon my noobishness. I was able to do an online conversion using SCE. It didn't work on a previous conversion so I assumed it wouldn't work this time.

The online conversion worked but I still have what seem to be some minor issues with the vm adjusting to the SCE environment.

• Marked as answer by guzarish Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:38 PM
    • Edited by guzarish Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:37 PM

All replies

• Pardon my noobishness. I was able to do an online conversion using SCE. It didn't work on a previous conversion so I assumed it wouldn't work this time.

The online conversion worked but I still have what seem to be some minor issues with the vm adjusting to the SCE environment.

• Marked as answer by guzarish Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:38 PM
    • Edited by guzarish Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Hello Guzarish,

Very glad to hear the issue resolved. Also, if you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know and we are happy to be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:00 AM