none
Initial Windows 7 Desktop after SCCM Deployment

Question

• Hi All,

I am experiencing a once off problem following the build of a Windows 7 device. The first time a user logs into a newly build Windows 7 device (and is getting a new profile) the SCCM OSD background appears as the desktop. After logging off and back on again the appropriate theme is applied. This is not a big issue, I just want to know how it is happening.

We have a custom theme that is applied via Group Policy. We also edit the default user registry hive as part of the build process to set the WallPaper. This was to get around the issue with Windows 7 displaying a black desktop when a theme is applied via group policy. In the mean time we have included the hotfix KB977944 which addresses this issue.

When the desktop is still set to the SCCM OSD image the HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WallPaper registry vaue is set to the image we have in teh default user hive? The Windows 7 theme file that is held in the users profile also has the correct desktop image??? A simple windows rfersh also does not change the backdrop. As mentioned above, a logoff and back on fixes the issue. Interestingly enough it does not affect any other subsequent user who logs on (even if they also get a new profile)??

Has anyone else seen this behaviour. Once again, not a biggy, just confusing.

Cheers,

Nathan.

NSutton
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have never seen this. It sounds like the task sequence is not fully completing. Have you verified that all tasks have finished successfully and that the task sequence did indeed finish successfully in the local smsts.log?
    Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Yep. The task sequence has completed OK. In each case the task sequence completes with message ID 11171.

Cheers,

Nathan
    NSutton
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:59 AM
  • Monday, March 22, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I have this problem too. I would like the users desktop to be the windows 7 default.

How do you fix it in the task sequence?

What do i need to change the reg key too?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi helenp1983,

The desktop background can bet set manually by editing the default user hive. In particular you need to edit the WallPaper registry key. You can get more information on this here ...

http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2009/11/20/windows-7-rtm-issue-with-group-policy-enforced-wallpaper.aspx

The default user hive can be loaded using REG.EXE, edited and then closed using REG.EXE. In a task Sequence this would be best achieved by writing some vbscript and using the "Run Command Line" task sequence step.

The background can also be set by applying a pre-configured theme and/or by setting a background in Active Directory Group Policy. Theme application and desktop images can be set by looking into the "User Context > Administrative templates > Desktop > Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper" and  "User Context > Administrative templates > Control Panel > Personalize > Load a Specific Theme" areas within the Group Policy editor.

HTH

NSutton
    • Proposed as answer by helenp1983 Friday, June 04, 2010 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

Thanks for the POST. These links seem to relate to the Desktop background for the .DEFAULT user hive and therefore what is shown when the Credential Manager is shown. In my particular case I have no issues with the OEMBackground, more rather the users desktop background being set to the SCCM OSD background on first login.

I have spent more time on this and I have realised that the Windows 7 task sequence, once complete did not have a final reboot. Introducing a final reboot prior to a user logging in seems to resolve the problem.

Thanks again for the reply!

Cheers,

Nathan

NSutton
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, but restarting at the end does not always fix the issue.

Some users still get the SCCM wallpaper on their first login.

How do you do the reboot at the end? Do you use the "Restart" action on the TS?

Friday, June 04, 2010 10:45 AM