none
I cannot start the "SQL Server Reporting Services (SCE)" service

Question

• Attempts to run any of the Windows Computer Reports fail with an error:

Date: 10/29/2008 10:19:30 AM
    Application: System Center Essentials
    Application Version: 6.0.1251.0
    Severity: Error

Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: The Report Server Windows service 'ReportServer$SCE' is not running. The service must be running to use Report Server. (rsReportServerServiceUnavailable)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.GetParameters()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.Parameters.ReportParameterBlock.Initialize(ServerReport serverReport)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ReportForm.SetReportJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

My attempts to start the "SQL Server Reporting Services (SCE)" service fail with an error:

Could not start the SQL Server Reporting Service (SCE) service on Local Computer.
    Error 1053: The service did  not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The application log in the event viewer has hundreds of instances of Event ID 107:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Report Server (SCE)
    Event Category: Management
    Event ID: 107
    Date:  10/29/2008
    Time:  10:36:25 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: DC
    Description:
    Report Server (SCE) cannot connect to the report server database.  For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Please help.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the link to the Reporting Services forum.  I found the fix in this thread:

https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3644545&SiteID=1

I had to create a registry key and reboot:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:

a.

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

b.

Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.

Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.

Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.

Restart the computer.

After the reboot, the service was running.  Thanks for your help with this.

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:37 PM

All replies

• I still need help with this.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Is it a new installed SCE server? Did you finish the Reporting Services Configuration? Did you use a remote SQL server? Is the "SQL Server" service running properly?

Please check the properties of "SQL Server Reporting Services (SCE)" service. Is it log on as "Local System account" or a domain user account? If you use "Local System account", make sure the "Allow service to interact with desktop" check box was selected. If you use other account, make sure the password is correct and it is authorized to access the database.

For more information, please read the KB nelow:

You receive an "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" error message when a service that uses the local system account tries to start on a Windows Server 2003-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886695/

Hope it helps.

Friday, October 31, 2008 9:00 AM
  • This SCE server has been up for about a month.  It is in a lab environment for testing purposes.  The install disc came from our MSDN subscription.

I do not know if I finished Reporting Services Configuration.  How do I tell?

The SQL Server instance is local.  It is SQL Server Express Edition.

The "SQL Server (SCE)" service is running.

The "SQL Server Reporting Services (SCE)" service logs on as Local System account.  The checkbox for "Allow service to interact with desktop" was not checked.  I checked this box but it did not fix the problem (I even tried rebooting the server).

I tried to install KB886695 but the only download available is for IA64 machines (mine is x86).

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

You can verify the SQL reporting service as following step:

1.      Go to Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools. Open “Reporting Service Configuration”, make sure the flags are shown as green.

2.    Click “Start” – “Run” – “Services.msc”, scroll to Report Server (MSSQLSERVER). The status should be Started.

3.    Type “http://<computer name>/ReportServer<instance name>” in the address bar to verify the report server installation.

The following article contains more detail information for your reference;

How to: Verify a Reporting Services Installation
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143773.aspx

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 03, 2008 10:54 AM
  •  

Okay I opened the "Reporting Service Configuration" as described in step one.  I have a red X for "Server Status":

The service status is stopped.  If I try to start the service, I get the same error I've had previously --

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ReportServer on computer '<COMPUTERNAME>'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

Why can't I start this service?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

There is a similar issue that caused by KB948109:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3840037&SiteID=17

If you just installed this KB, uninstall it to see if this is your scenario.

If this cannot help you, please use the following Forum for further research, which would be the best resource for your question.

SQL Server Reporting Services

https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=82&SiteID=1

Thanks,
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Thanks for the link to the Reporting Services forum.  I found the fix in this thread:

https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3644545&SiteID=1

I had to create a registry key and reboot:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:

a.

On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

b.

Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.

Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.

Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.

Restart the computer.

After the reboot, the service was running.  Thanks for your help with this.

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Thanks Yog Li. It worked for me.
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:42 AM
  • I worked many thanks 
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:13 PM
  • This seems to be fixing a few peoples' issues (as well as mine!) I found a blog mentioning this but came here to throw out the question:

What are some specifics behind the possible underlying cause for needing to increase this value?  Some sort of lag it seems, but where or what?  Nothing had changed other than an upgrade and reboot before this occurred...perhaps in my case the software was completing some upgrade piece upon reboot and it ate up all the resources before the sql server had to start?

It is a 4vCPU 4GB vm....maybe the ram was the choke point (checking...)

Well that could very well be it....there was a period of time during all this that the mem was almost maxed out according to VMWare....looks like I'm gonna bump it up a couple and give it some room...and tune it back down after this major upgrade...

Anyway just wanted to throw that out there and see what other people's experiences were if they decided to try and find the root cause...

Saturday, December 01, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Thank god the internet and google :)

This solution does the trick. Thank you.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:14 AM

This did the trick for me aswell !!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:26 AM
  • Thanks! This worked for me.
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Adding the registry key worked for me too. Thanks!
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:25 PM