none
Bypass "click next to continue" on "welcome to the task sequence wizard" page

Question

•  

When the SCCM task sequence starts up it requires an intervention on the Welcome screen even though no password is assging. Is there a way to bypass this for an unattended install.

Message is as follows:

"Wecome to the Task Sequence Wizard"

"This media is not password protected. Please click next to continue"

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:01 AM

Answers

•  pcgeek101 wrote:
    Bump.

There has to be a way to get this working. If not, then someone needs to explain why these barriers are being put in place forcefully.

Is there a way of injecting an AutoIT script ahead of the task sequence wizard such that it can look for the Window object and upon its appearance, click the Next button programmatically? Come on, someone has to have an answer.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

The ability to run unattended is there in the boot media. However, it is not exposed in any UI. You need to manually "fix" the boot media.

You need to edit the \sms\data\TSMBootStrap.ini file.

[MediaInfo]
    MediaType=BootMedia
    PasswordRequired=false
    Unattended=true

The "Unattended" entry determines whether or not the user interaction is required.

For PXE, if the advertisement is mandatory, then user interaction is not required.

It was determined in the past that the CD/DVD scenario is a manual one, since a user would have to insert the CD, the user can be prompted on the first page (which has the option to configure the network settings). In contrast, the a machine can be booted to PXE by powering it up with wake-on-LAN. Also, the fact that PXE can boot from the network implies that there is no need to configure its network settings.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:51 PM

All replies

• The only way i have seen to be able to bypass it is to have a mandatory assignment on the task sequence advertisment.

As soon as you do this, you will only have to press F12 once to start the PXE process and when WinPE boots up it will skip the welcome screen.

Nathan
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:41 AM
  • Are you PXE booting or booting from CD? If you are booting from CD there is not a way around it. If you are PXE booting you shouldn't see this unless you selected to add the media hook. If you don't need it get rid of the media hook.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Have you tried adding

SkipBDDWelcome=Yes

to both the customsettings.ini and bootstrap.ini files?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:17 PM
  • Those settings are for Lite Touch only and have no effect in zero touch deployments.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:20 PM
  • This quoted text is from Niehaus and explains exactly what you are seeing.... (I'm not worthy  )

"You can also see this if you enable the “pre-execution hook” when creating a boot image using MDT 2008.  You would only want to enable this if you planned to use this boot image only with boot media; for PXE, you normally wouldn’t want a pre-execution hook because it causes the wizard to show up J "

-Michael

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Hi

Yes that possible both from pxe and boot media.  Read this post I had the same issuses as you. See the first question and the answer from "that osd guy".

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2135427&SiteID=17

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:46 PM
  • I should have said "there is not supported way" not there is no way to get rid of that from boot media.

Again, another quote from the mighty Niehaus..

"If you use PXE, you won't get this.  If you are using CD boot media, there is no supported way to suppress the wizard. -Michael"

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Has anyone found a work-around for this issue? I would like to avoid having to click Next on the task sequence wizard.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Bump.

There has to be a way to get this working. If not, then someone needs to explain why these barriers are being put in place forcefully.

Is there a way of injecting an AutoIT script ahead of the task sequence wizard such that it can look for the Window object and upon its appearance, click the Next button programmatically? Come on, someone has to have an answer.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Yes... as long as you boot from CD  Smile

Automating the SCCM 2007 CD boot image
    http://www.deployvista.com/Home/tabid/36/EntryID/53/language/sv-SE/Default.aspx
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:25 AM
  •  pcgeek101 wrote:
    Bump.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

The ability to run unattended is there in the boot media. However, it is not exposed in any UI. You need to manually "fix" the boot media.

[MediaInfo]
    MediaType=BootMedia
    PasswordRequired=false
    Unattended=true

The "Unattended" entry determines whether or not the user interaction is required.

For PXE, if the advertisement is mandatory, then user interaction is not required.

It was determined in the past that the CD/DVD scenario is a manual one, since a user would have to insert the CD, the user can be prompted on the first page (which has the option to configure the network settings). In contrast, the a machine can be booted to PXE by powering it up with wake-on-LAN. Also, the fact that PXE can boot from the network implies that there is no need to configure its network settings.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:51 PM
  •  Kerwin Medina [MSFT] wrote:

pcgeek101 wrote:
    Bump.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

[MediaInfo]
    MediaType=BootMedia
    PasswordRequired=false
    Unattended=true

Well, it may have been a manual process of inserting the CD in the past, I agree, but with recently evolving technologies (supported by SCCM, actually) like Intel vPro, the possibility exists to remotely boot a system from an ISO image, or a local CD-ROM drive. If a support person used this function to boot a remote system, then they would still be stuck at the Welcome screen.

Conversely, if I had the ability to forcefully execute a task sequence, then, as my first task sequence item, I can fire off VNC (which works pretty well, actually), to allow me to further manage and monitor the build process. I have successfully implemented this concept in one of my builds, and it works great. First, I spawn off VNC, and secondly, I fire off a HTA that prompts for some information about the system (and stores it in task sequence variables) before moving on.

So, with the knowledge that there is a work-around for the CD issue, the next question I have is ... how do I automate the CD editing task? Is there a scriptable method of mounting an ISO file to a drive letter or directory? Any commercial products even?

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:12 PM
  • If you change winpeshl.ini you can start an autoit script before the sccm deployment process starts

Change

[LaunchApps]
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sms\bin\i386\TsBootShell.exe

to

[LaunchApps]
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Tools\MyAutoItScript.exe
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sms\bin\i386\TsBootShell.exe

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:49 PM
  • In my case it was in ZTI pxe process.
    I changed SCCM_Bootstrap.ini file:

SkipWizard=NO to YES

And then I created a new boot image using MDT

Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Hello,

where can I find this file?

\sms\data\TSMBootStrap.ini file.

where can i edit this?

[MediaInfo]
    MediaType=BootMedia
    PasswordRequired=false
    Unattended=true

I found the files. The file. It's not in the wim its on the media (USB or DVD)
    • Edited by Strahle_fz Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:10 AM Soulution
    • Proposed as answer by Strahle_fz Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:26 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:34 AM