none
List Management Pack Name or Monitor name in notification in SCOM 2012

Question

• Hello, I am setting up my new SCOM 2012 SP1 environment and I've been playing with the notifications.  So far I've played around with all the provided command line parameters that come built in.   Are there other items that could be used that would not be listed?  Namely I am looking to include the Management Pack name in a notification.  Or maybe even the monitor's name.     For example, I have a monitor named "www.google.com Web Application Availability Monitoring" and it's in the management pack named "www.google.com Web Monitoring".   There doesn't seem to be either of these listed in the built in parameters.

Here are all the fields that come with SCOM, as they come through on the alert:

Alert Source:  http://www.google.com [SCOMMS1.cntr.corp]

Alert Name:  Web Application Unavailable: {2}

Alert Description:  http://www.google has a problem. Please see the alert context tab for details of the failure. The Transaction Response Time was 2.09657931385134E-02 seconds.

Alert Severity:  2

Alert Priority:  1

Alert Category:  AvailabilityHealth

Alert Resolution State:  New

Alert Owner:  Not Present

Alert Resolved By:  Not Present

Alert Raised Time:  4/15/2013 1:54:05 PM

Alert Resolution Time:  Not Present

Alert Last Modified Time:  4/15/2013 1:54:05 PM

Alert Modified By:  System

So it lists the url it's monitoring, and the description of the problem, but I can't get the management pack name or the monitor itself's name.   Is there any way to do that?  Or are we totally limited to the built in parameters it lists?

Monday, April 15, 2013 7:28 PM

Answers

• yes, there is no parameter in alert for mp name and monitor name, you can add static text in alert description to provide this information.

sridhar v

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:46 PM

All replies

• hi

we can determine the monitor and mp name from ManagedEntityFullName in the alert.

Example : $Data/ManagedEntityFullName$  for event rule.

Or

Scom allows us to add static text in the alert description, you can add mp and monitor name manually at time of creation of monitor.

Regards

sridhar v

• Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Monday, April 15, 2013 10:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by markronz Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by markronz Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:15 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 10:48 PM
  • How can I incorporate $Data/ManagedEntityFullName$ into a notification?  I've tried to add "$Data/ManagedEntityFullName$" into the body text of an email notification and it does not seem to work or get filled in.   I also tried to use the same "$Data/ManagedEntityFullName$" as a command notification as a command line parameter and it does not get filled in either.

So what am I missing?  How can I get that data you're talking about to show up in my notifications?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:15 PM
  • I found this website here which lists a lot of options of what you can include in notifications:

http://ckrim.blogspot.com/2011/11/adding-scom-custom-information-to-alert.html

I set up my alert to put all 39 different notification items listed on the website into the body of my email.   One of those on the list appears to be the item you've mentioned:

$Data/Context/DataItem/ManagedEntityFullName$                  

This appears to be the output for that particular line:   "Microsoft.SystemCenter.WebApplicationTest.WebTest:21b6e24d-82f0-4ddc-bda9-a1f108ec13fb"

So that does not appear to list the Management Pack name ("www.google.com Web Monitoring") or the monitor name ("www.google.com Web Application Availability Monitoring").

None of the items from that web page list either of those items that I'm looking for.  Does that mean it's not possible then?   

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi

Please refer below links for alert parameters and web application notification parameters.

$Data/Context/DataItem/ManagedEntityFullName$          

http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2008/09/04/actionable-alerts-for-web-applications-in-operations-manager-2007.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2007/12/12/adding-custom-information-to-alert-descriptions-and-notifications.aspx

regards

sridhar v

• Proposed as answer by sridhar vishwanatham Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by markronz Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:27 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Thank you for your response, but this information is still not what I am looking for.   The second link you've provided has the exact same list as my link I provided a little earlier.   There are no items on that list which get you the Managment Pack name or the Monitor Name in a notification.   The first link you just provided also does not mention either of those two things.

So again, am I to assume it is not possible to get the Management Pack name or the Monitor Name in a notification?  Since it's not on the list on the notification information page?

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:30 PM
  • yes, there is no parameter in alert for mp name and monitor name, you can add static text in alert description to provide this information.

sridhar v

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:46 PM