none
DNS Management Pack - The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed

Question

• All,

When our Domain Controllers (hosting DNS) are rebooted, we receive the alerts "The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed". The 'Up' alert is written in de the event log about 30 seconds later. Why isn't the status change picked up by OpsMgr.

Does anyone else encounter this issue?

Regards,
    Mark
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• because it's probably a rule and not a monitor, which doesn't have a state.
    But give some more information about this alert. Just the description makes searching hard.
    Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Rob, Others,

I'm sorry for the lack of information. The monitor's name is "DNS 2008 Troubleshoot AD DS and restart the DNS service Server Service monitor". There are three posible states defined, and a number of events per state.

Regards,
    Mark
    Friday, February 05, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Hi Marc, others,

we do have the same issue in our AD 2008 environment. Our explanation, so far is, that AD services don't load fast enough. DNS will be loaded before all AD hosted dns zones are available. The "ok" state events, defined in the monitor, won't occur on our DCs. They mainly focus on initial zone replication delay, but not on startup delays.
    We changed the monitor to allow ID 4 as valid "ok" state event for this monitor. Event 4 is logged when the DNS server is started and all AD integrated zones have been loaded successfully.

Hope this helps. I hope MS releases an update for the MP to fix this annoying "critial alert".

Regards,

Fabian.

Friday, February 05, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Hi, will mark as answer as no activity for a long time. Feel free to re-open it. Thanks

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi Fabian,

We too are having these problems - but how would I change the monitor as you describe? I can't see anything in the overrides section that would help.

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, January 24, 2011 12:19 PM