none
The Autodiscover service couldn't be located. Exchange Connector w/ Service Manager 2010 SP1

Question

• I can't seem to get the Exchange Connector v2.0 working with a new install of Service Manager 2010 SP1.  The server is Win2008R2SP1, virtual, and it is internal to the company architecture.

I have installed the exchange connector, management packs imported OK, and it is synching.  When looking at the Event Viewer under Operations Manager, I see an Error under Health Service Modules every time the exchange connector runs.  The exception message says the Autodiscover service couldn't be located.

I have seen other posts similar to this, and have tried the following troubleshooting steps so far:

1. I did verify that the Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.dll and Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll files are located in the SCSM installation directory on the SCSM management server (C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010).
    2. I also reviewed the Exchange Connector instructions and verified each step was setup.
    3. The Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer (https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/) tests successful when logged in as the workflow account.  (ExRCA is attempting to test Autodiscover, Autodiscover was tested successfully.)
    4. I am able to go to the autodiscover website by opening IE on the SCSM Management Server and connecting to <a href="https:///autodiscover/autodiscover.xml">https://<your-exchangeserver-FQDN>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.  This gave me multiple problems earlier today until I realized I didn’t have the correct cert.  I browsed out to the company OWA site and installed a cert, and am now able to be prompted with a login.  We tested several different types of login permissions including uber-schema-admin rights and I was not able to login here.
    5. I have looked through the documentation that comes with the Exchange connector, there is a link to a site on how to configure and troubleshoot the autodiscover service.  I think autodiscovery is working fine from the outlook client.  I was also able to login to OWA from the server under the workflow account and receive and send emails.
    6. I have also tried editing the registry for the ExchangeURL to the Exchange Web Service per the connector instructions, this did not work.
    7. I have also verified that I can telnet to port 80 and 443 from the server.

• Edited by Gregory Depp Monday, March 05, 2012 11:17 PM original text cut off
    Monday, March 05, 2012 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hello !

I had a similar Issue at a customers site, and played around for a while with it.

I did all the troubleshooting as proposed in the forums.

Finally a destroyed (E-Mail Template 9483762378494393 somewhat) E-Mail Template was the reason it didnt work.

Remove the Connector, delete the funny e-Mail Template and reistalling the connector worked for me.

Regards / Roman

Problem talk creates problems, solution talk creates solutions (Steve deShazer)

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:31 AM

All replies

• Breaking this up into several posts as my original had too many characters and was cut off -

The error that I get is:

A Windows Workflow Foundation workflow failed during execution.
     Workflow Type: Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow
    Workflow Identifier: a5ab5ec2-972a-f92c-cdc0-249483b85639
    Exception Type: Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.AutodiscoverLocalException
    Exception Message: The Autodiscover service couldn't be located.
    Exception Stack:    at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ExchangeInbox.ProcessMail()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ExchangeConnector.ProcessEmailsWorkflow.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.CompositeActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)
       at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
       at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Looking at the Operations Manager log I also see other odd entries.  One is:
     AutodiscoverConfiguration: <Trace Tag="AutodiscoverConfiguration" Tid="12" Time="2012-03-05 22:18:42Z">
    Trying to get Autodiscover redirection URL from http://autodiscover.xxxxxxxxx.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.
    </Trace>
    Note that I replaced the company name with x’s. 

What is this address?  It seems to be different than the troubleshooting step #4 above.  When trying to browse to it I get a 404 not found.

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Other entries in the log include:
    AutodiscoverConfiguration: <Trace Tag="AutodiscoverConfiguration" Tid="12" Time="2012-03-05 22:18:42Z">
    No Autodiscover redirection URL was returned.
    </Trace>

Trying to get Autodiscover host from DNS SRV record for xxxxxx.com.
    </Trace>

DnsQuery returned error error 'DNS name does not exist' error code 0x0000232B.
    </Trace>

No appropriate SRV record was found.
    </Trace>

No matching Autodiscover DNS SRV records were found.
    </Trace>
    Exchange Inbox: Error while scanning Exchange Inbox for emails from alias(es) 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]'

Obviously something is up with Autodiscover, but I’m at a loss of what to check next.  Other systems throughout the company seem to be working with Autodiscover and Exchange with no problems.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greg

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Hello !

I had a similar Issue at a customers site, and played around for a while with it.

I did all the troubleshooting as proposed in the forums.

Finally a destroyed (E-Mail Template 9483762378494393 somewhat) E-Mail Template was the reason it didnt work.

Remove the Connector, delete the funny e-Mail Template and reistalling the connector worked for me.

Regards / Roman

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:31 AM
  • StadlmairR,

Where was the funny email template located at, under Notifications - Templates?  All I see there is the standard out-of-the-box templates that come with a fresh SCSM install (Assigned To User Notification Template, Escalation Notification Template, End User Notification Template, and Assigned To Notification Template).  None appear to be destroyed or have unusual names/settings.

I do not have Outlook installed on the server.  I also searched the entire server for variations of 9483762378494393 and returned no results.

Thanks,

Greg 

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi Greg !

Sorry for the misunderstanding - the numbers should just represent some numbers, note the ones i stated above.

You are right, the Template should be in Notifications/Templates and look strange. If you have no such template, dont continue digging there.

Are you sure the Mailbox you are monitoring with the connector is clear ?

Deactivate the Connector, chech this and make sure there are no e-Mails in it, activate the connector.

This has been discussed here a couple of times and worked for some people.

Regards / Roman

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:09 PM