none
Monitor Performance of Custom SSRS Reports

Question

• Goal:  I want to be able to monitor the performance of custom SSRS reports deployed

So far:I have deployed Avicode 5.7 onto a single server, this includes:

Avicode .NET Enterprise MP 5.7 for SCOM 2007 (installed all components), Imported Avicode Reporting Service MP 5.7 for SCOM 2007

The SSRS instance is recognized however when I attempt to run a custom report on the server that takes > 2 minutes to return data I never even get an alert in SCOM.

I basically want to see an alert for a given threshold and then show drill down within the alert to the exact issue within report execution.

I've tried to follow the guides for Avicode but they aren't very helpful at all and the System Center Central articles aren't either for this situation.

Anyone with experience around this I would value your feedback very much!

Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:58 PM

All replies

• Silly question, have you added the SSRS server to both groups for .NET discovery and .NET deployment? The next question is less silly. How do you run the reports? If you run the reports from a custom web interface, is that being monitored? Once a SSRS server is discovered we would deploy an agent, have you checked if an agent is deployed? Go to the SSRS server and look an the program listing for AVIcode, if there, select Intercept Management Console. Once in the console check to see if anything is configured to be monitored.

Trouble shooting:
     1. Check for AVIcode agent events of System center Alerts in SCOM ( Usually if a problem exist somewhere,, SCOM is told )
     2. Check the log files of the monitored system, Operations health log will show AVIcode endpoint discovery or deployment errors.
     3. Confirm that during the install process that you correctly gave an URL for the SEViewer that the monitored server can hit since step one after discovery is deployment and it uses HTTP get request to that URL.

Finally, give more information to the problem. Basically, I installed, and don't see anything is not very helpful.

Shawn Gibbs
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Silly question, have you added the SSRS server to both groups for .NET discovery and .NET deployment? The next question is less silly. How do you run the reports? If you run the reports from a custom web interface, is that being monitored? Once a SSRS server is discovered we would deploy an agent, have you checked if an agent is deployed? Go to the SSRS server and look an the program listing for AVIcode, if there, select Intercept Management Console. Once in the console check to see if anything is configured to be monitored.

Trouble shooting:
     1. Check for AVIcode agent events of System center Alerts in SCOM ( Usually if a problem exist somewhere,, SCOM is told )
     2. Check the log files of the monitored system, Operations health log will show AVIcode endpoint discovery or deployment errors.
     3. Confirm that during the install process that you correctly gave an URL for the SEViewer that the monitored server can hit since step one after discovery is deployment and it uses HTTP get request to that URL.

Finally, give more information to the problem. Basically, I installed, and don't see anything is not very helpful.

Shawn Gibbs

Phew, I was beginning to worry nobody would respond so thank you for being the first.

All good questions so I'll address them one by one.

1.  Yes the Windows Computer for the SSRS instance I care about was was added to both groups

2.  The Intercept agent has been deployed and displays correctly in the Avicode .NET Monitoring Agent state view as well as the SSRS instances in the Avicode SSRS state view. I set Alerting threshold and Sensitivity thresholds on Instance of SSRS I care about and restarted the service and viewed the event in the OpsMgr log on the SSRS Server that stated monitoring had started.

3.  Yes you are correct, a custom web application (Apache/Websphere) is actually calling the SSRS in this scenario.  I believe its just basically iframes but could be wrong on that one.

Troubleshooting:

1.  I don't see events in event view or alerts in alert view under Avicode for SSRS section in monitoring pane.  This is very strange considering I do see the events in the SEViewer.

2.  As far as I can tell everything looks good on this front.

3.  I will review this

So most of the actual implementation efforts are listed above.

1.  Installed SCOM 2007 R2 agent on SSRS machine I care about

2.  Installed Avicode .NET MP

3.  Installed Avicode SSRS MP

4.  Verified Agent was deployed to SSRS machine

5.  Modified Alerting and sensitivity thresholds on SSRS instance (from diagram view, you can do it on intercept agent on machine too), restarted service and verified monitoring had started

6.  Executed large reports that pulled a ton of data back and took a long time to return

7.  Looked at SEViewer and saw the event were logged

8.  Looked in monitoring pane of SCOM console (Avicode for SSRS) and notice no alerts or events were generated (this is part of my problem)

9.  Also when I drill down into the event in SEViewer (or in the future when alerts work in the console) I would like to be able to view SQL/Oracle performance for queries, basically anything having to do with retrieving data for the report

I hope this clears things up a bit, thanks for your time!

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Okay, thanks for the answers. Sorry to say it only generates new questions. You are seeing SSRS events in SEViewer? This would indicate things have processed correctly from SCOM’s point of view. It deployed and configured monitoring as required. So the next question is what are the events, as not all events will be process by the SCOM agent. For example not all ‘application failures’ are sent via our collection to WMI for SCOM agent to collet as an alert, even though we collect in SEViewer. I would think we either are not collecting them as alerts in SCOM by design or we have a WMI SCOM agent issue on that server with SSRS being monitored.

To diagnose we need to know what the events are in SEViewer and the configuration of SSRS is to see if this is by design, and is not what are the Operations Manager agent alerts in the Operations Mgr event log in the SSRS server?

Shawn Gibbs
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:08 PM
  • are there any SCOM monitors specific to SSRS? like an SSRS SCOM package?
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

As Shawn pointed the fact you have SSRS events collected in SEViewer doesn't mean that you'll get SSRS alerts just at once in any case. The monitored load (say, Reporting Services activity) should trigger alert conditions specified for each alert.

You can check and configure AVIcode Reporting Services MP monitors through "Authoring"->"Management Pack Objects"->"Monitors" (just change scope to "Report Server 2008"). Thus here what we have for performance monitors, - alert (and out of box this alert generating is disabled, you should turn it on) will be raised if number of performance events for specified interval exceeds set threshold:

Having generated enough activity (events) I've found alert received:

Igor Savchenko, VIAcode Consulting LLC (http://www.viacode.com/solutions)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Besides if you want to raise alerts not only based on performance events number (as described above), but also to receive separate alerts and events always when the time spent on request handling overcomes the threshold, you should enable two additional Rules (these rules are disabled by design too) under "Authoring"->"Management Pack Objects"->"Rules":

Here are below what I've got for this case - "Performance SLA Violation" events and alerts are being collected now:

Igor Savchenko, VIAcode Consulting LLC (http://www.viacode.com/solutions)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:54 PM