none
testing WMI

Question

• We have a lot of Windows 7 workstations that have a corrupt WMI.    I've run scripts that connect to WMI but does that mean it is healthy? Or do you need to check for more than just a connection?

Also, for SCCM 2007 what is the minimum version WMI can be for SCCM to function?   

• Edited by mqh7 Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:30 PM

Answers

• connecting to WMI might not be enough to indicate 'health'.  you could connect, but perhaps not enumerate classes within a namespace (classes and instances that ConfigMgr the client needs in order to function).

minimum version?  I guess I never thought about that...I've always equated it to "xp sp3 is the minimum supported version" (or whatever, you'd have to look it up for each OS); and whatever WMI version is that on version of OS... that's the minimum.

If you really have systemic problems with Windows 7 WMI health, you may want to open up a call with Microsoft; so they can assist in determining root cause--so that you aren't bandaid-ing the problem.  In general, WMI on Windows 7 is pretty healthy.  I've heard of one or two issues--related to some antimalware product going a little nutso (I forget the details); but in general Win7's WMI is stable (at least in my experience).

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, April 15, 2013 10:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:48 PM

All replies

• connecting to WMI might not be enough to indicate 'health'.  you could connect, but perhaps not enumerate classes within a namespace (classes and instances that ConfigMgr the client needs in order to function).

minimum version?  I guess I never thought about that...I've always equated it to "xp sp3 is the minimum supported version" (or whatever, you'd have to look it up for each OS); and whatever WMI version is that on version of OS... that's the minimum.

If you really have systemic problems with Windows 7 WMI health, you may want to open up a call with Microsoft; so they can assist in determining root cause--so that you aren't bandaid-ing the problem.  In general, WMI on Windows 7 is pretty healthy.  I've heard of one or two issues--related to some antimalware product going a little nutso (I forget the details); but in general Win7's WMI is stable (at least in my experience).

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, April 15, 2013 10:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:48 PM
  • I would suggest you to open a call with Microsoft regarding this, exact solution you will not find here,

Perhaps, check you MOF file, if that is causing the WMI problem, 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your issue

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:56 AM
  • I personally would start by looking at a few machines.
    Microsoft have a wmi diags tool that is worth a look

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7684

The CAT tool also does some client health checks for you as well. Its not great but it can be a help, especially on multiple clients.

http://sccmcat.codeplex.com/

Are you checking any client side logs to see if you have any issues?

Thursday, April 04, 2013 9:23 AM