none
Assigning a VLAN to a VM Template

Question

• I'm evaluating SCVMM 2012 RC with two Hyper-V Hosts.  Each of the hosts have a dedicated 1GB NIC for VM traffic.  On those NIC's, I am doing 802.1Q VLAN Tagging with Multiple VLAN's.  I have a single Logical network built to coorespond with the NIC.  That logical network contains 5 VLAN's.   It seems as though I can only assign a logical network to the VM template, not a Logical Network and VLAN pair.

As a result, when I deploy new VM's using my template, the VLAN seems to be random.  Is there a way for me to mandate the VLAN I want each new VM to be put into?

Currently I just launch the job to create a new VM, wait until it has created the Logical NIC, and then I go to the host server and change it while the VM is booting up for the first time.  This works, but obviously it's not ideal.  Also, not possible from the SCC, which is where my users will be deploying from.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:22 PM

Answers

• Ok, this is solved.  Thank you martius for getting me started down the right path.

1. Created a logical network for each VLAN.  Be sure that you assign them to the proper host group or the hosts won't be able to access them.
    2. Checked all checkboxes on Host Properties > Hardware > Network Adapter > Logical network connectivity
    3. After you have applied step 2, close the host properties and go back and see if the changes took.  For me, I'm adding 5 VLAN and the first time it only took 4 of them.  I had to go back in and check the 5th one again to make sure it took (I guess that's why this is "Release Candidate").
    4. Go to Host Properties > Virtual Networks and select your virtual network.  Make sure that all of your newly created Logical Networks are listed under the "Logical network:" label.
    5. Go to Cloud Properties > Virtual Networks and make sure that all of your newly created Logical Networks are checked.

After all of this, Voila!  I can assign the VLAN before I deploy the template and life is good!  I can now fully deploy the self-service console.  Yeah!

Thanks again for getting me started Martius.

• Marked as answer by LyncBuilder Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 10:31 PM
  • I found this too when deploying to either a cloud or a host.

What you might want to do is to create different logical networks per VLAN. This way you can assign the specific logical network / VLAN combination to a network card n your template.

The mutiple specific logical network / VLAN can be assigned to a single physical network card that resides in a host. This should not be a problem.

It's not the most elegant way of solving the "issue", but it will work. Ideally there would be a selection box when creating a template so you can choose which VLAN should be used per network connection if there are mutiple available in a locigal network.

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer, otherwise vote as Helpful.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:41 AM

All replies

• Are you deploying your VMs to a private cloud, or to a host? If you select host, are you able to specify/change the VLAN for the VM? (One of the latest steps in the process)
    Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I am deploying to a cloud.  I tried deploying directly to a host, the following added step appears.  However I do not have the option to change the VLAN.  In this case you see below, the VLAN is set to 200, I want it to be on 250.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas on this?  It continues to baffle me.  As I create VM's, it just randomly selects a VLAN.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:25 PM
  • I found this too when deploying to either a cloud or a host.

What you might want to do is to create different logical networks per VLAN. This way you can assign the specific logical network / VLAN combination to a network card n your template.

The mutiple specific logical network / VLAN can be assigned to a single physical network card that resides in a host. This should not be a problem.

It's not the most elegant way of solving the "issue", but it will work. Ideally there would be a selection box when creating a template so you can choose which VLAN should be used per network connection if there are mutiple available in a locigal network.

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer, otherwise vote as Helpful.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:41 AM
  • I tried this with no luck.  It lets me add the logical network, but fails when I try to deploy the VM to that network.  Have you tried this?

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Ok, this is solved.  Thank you martius for getting me started down the right path.

1. Created a logical network for each VLAN.  Be sure that you assign them to the proper host group or the hosts won't be able to access them.
    2. Checked all checkboxes on Host Properties > Hardware > Network Adapter > Logical network connectivity
    3. After you have applied step 2, close the host properties and go back and see if the changes took.  For me, I'm adding 5 VLAN and the first time it only took 4 of them.  I had to go back in and check the 5th one again to make sure it took (I guess that's why this is "Release Candidate").
    4. Go to Host Properties > Virtual Networks and select your virtual network.  Make sure that all of your newly created Logical Networks are listed under the "Logical network:" label.
    5. Go to Cloud Properties > Virtual Networks and make sure that all of your newly created Logical Networks are checked.

After all of this, Voila!  I can assign the VLAN before I deploy the template and life is good!  I can now fully deploy the self-service console.  Yeah!

Thanks again for getting me started Martius.

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:31 PM
  • When creating a Logical network you there a couple of pssibilities regarding ipv4 and ipv6. You can make three kinds of logical networks regading ipv4 and ipv6 e.g.:

• ipv4 only
    • ipv4 and ipv6
    • ipv6 only

When creating a template and selecting a logical network be keen on what you select. Otherwise the template will not be deployed.

Also, it might be smart to use App Controller and service templates (only available thru App Controller and VMM Console) because of the possibility to update (e.g. assign more/less resources) all VM's made from the service template.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:17 PM