none
Request Involving multiple teams

Question

• Hello,

We have a request of type "Create new user", this involves 3 teams. Initially we were going to use incidents management but eventually decided to use change requests as it seems more in line with ITIL.

We have the following questions:

1. is the decision to go with change management instead of incident management correct?

2. Since we need 3 different teams to work in parallel,

a. Do we need to create 3 change requests in service manager or create a single change request with 3 activities?

b. our testing showed that activities have to be done in sequence. is that correct? can't we execute activities of a change request in parallel?

3. What are the basis on which we should create multiple change requests instead of creating a single change request with multiple activities?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:22 AM

Answers

• 1.: Both options are ok and depending on each company and process.  

2.  a): I would  recommend 1 change request with 3 activities. Because the activities are related to one change request it's easier to handle and dependencies between the activities are easily done.

2. b) Yes, activities in change requests are executed in sequence. There are no parallel activities in SCSM 2010 available.

3. Handle things together in one change request which should be done together, depending on each other and related. For instance it doesnt make sense to handle approval and creating a new user in two different chagre requests because the steps are related and depending on each other.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:00 PM
  • I would still stay with the 1 change request and 3 activities:

1. Less change requests to handle.

2. I would wait for the next version of SCSM. Microsoft announced some nice new features at the MMS in Las Vegas this year for SCSM 2012. Maybe this new stuff will help you with your requirements.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:02 PM
  • As I understand, you have three parallel activities for a Standard Change "New User".

A possible solution is, to use the Incident Form and make three manual activities - the three manual activities apear parallel in the "my activities" view of each activity implementer. We categorize such Incidents as "Service Requests". I know, it is somewhat nicer to open a change called "New User" from an Incident Form, but this way it will be faster.

I agree to Andreas, that SCSM 2012 will be better on this (parallel activities in changes and service request management).

Yours, Patrick Wahlmüller
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• 1.: Both options are ok and depending on each company and process.  

2.  a): I would  recommend 1 change request with 3 activities. Because the activities are related to one change request it's easier to handle and dependencies between the activities are easily done.

2. b) Yes, activities in change requests are executed in sequence. There are no parallel activities in SCSM 2010 available.

3. Handle things together in one change request which should be done together, depending on each other and related. For instance it doesnt make sense to handle approval and creating a new user in two different chagre requests because the steps are related and depending on each other.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Thanks for clarifications.

In our situation the activities associated with the request have no dependencies on each other, (e.g. one deal with domain info, one with creating telephone extension, one related to arranging new pc for the user, etc). Accordingly, the teams should have the ability to work in parallel to avoid potential delays.

So, in the above situation, going with 1 change request will result in dependencies and potential delays, so is it still recommended to go with 1 change request with 3 activities?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:23 PM
  • I would still stay with the 1 change request and 3 activities:

1. Less change requests to handle.

2. I would wait for the next version of SCSM. Microsoft announced some nice new features at the MMS in Las Vegas this year for SCSM 2012. Maybe this new stuff will help you with your requirements.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:02 PM
  • As I understand, you have three parallel activities for a Standard Change "New User".

A possible solution is, to use the Incident Form and make three manual activities - the three manual activities apear parallel in the "my activities" view of each activity implementer. We categorize such Incidents as "Service Requests". I know, it is somewhat nicer to open a change called "New User" from an Incident Form, but this way it will be faster.

I agree to Andreas, that SCSM 2012 will be better on this (parallel activities in changes and service request management).

Yours, Patrick Wahlmüller
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:56 AM