none
Feedback: Which management packs should I be using to monitor my computers and applications?

All replies

• Management packs are a very useful tool, however, the ones that administrators like myself REALLY need are ones that help us manage 3rd party applications.  I know we can make our updates with 3rd party msi's or exe's but for people like myself, I don't have enough time in my day to try to compile an update amongst all the other stuff I have to do.  So as a result, vulnerabilities arise due to unpatched software.  The biggest 3rd party offender I can think of is Adobe.  I know I'm not the only one that has a hard time keeping all my client pc's up to date with their patches, they release an update for Reader or Acrobat almost bi-weekly it seems now, and there's no way to deploy those updates with an enterprise solution.  And with a terrible IT employee to regular employee ratio, we have to rely on users updating Adobe products themselves, which they don't do.  So there's more time we have to take out of our schedules to babysit employees to make sure they update their software.

With that being said, I know there's a whole mess of legality issues with Microsoft providing 3rd party patches/applications.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know details, but I know they exist.  It's also why 3rd party support of this kind isn't a deal-breaker for me.  However, if this feature was somehow able to be included, it'd be a product I couldn't live without. 

This is merely for discussion's sake, I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts, experiences, ideas, etc.  This isn't exactly following the topic, but it's close. =)

(For clarification, Adobe makes a great product, just not easy to manage, and it's only one example of hundreds, again, this is just for argument's sake.)

It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Totally agree with you about update management. You probably know this already but Adobe have started to listen on this and updates for Flash Player have been around for a while that can be updated via SCE. You just need to sign up for the distribution program and then you are allowed to import that catalog.

It also looks like Reader 11 will have similar support. I was going through the Enterprise deployment guide for the new version of Adobe Reader and they provide the URL for downloading the CAB for SCCM. It doesn't seem to work at the moment but apparently it should start in Feb 2011 when the first set of quarterly updates are due.

Now if only we can get Oracle/Java to do the same with the Java Runtime and Apple to release SCCM/SCE cabs for ITunes and QuickTime life would be sweet!

Darren

Darren
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Really useful blog post, and this feature is awesome. Simple and very useful! Ofcourse I am a newbie on SCE and the next thing that I tried to do was to "confirm" that services not listed in your blog post or in management packs was monitored. I know that theese services is installed among the servers that is monitored, for example (MS) certificate Services, DNS and Lync. If I search the internet there seems to be some kind of management packs available for download, but when I search in download (SCE - management packs - all management packs in the catalog) for theese I get no results. As a test I searched for DHCP and got a hit on that - available for download and but not installed. What does this mean? Are they simply not supported for SCE 2010 or monitored with some other management pack already present?

Regards Mattias

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:07 PM