none
P2V Error 13257 in Windows xp pro sp3

Question

• I'm having difficulty here getting this error: (13257)Virtual machine manager is unable to convert servername.domainname because required files are missing.Recommended action: copy the file sp3.cab to the "C:\program files\microsoft system center virtual machine manager 2008 r2\patch import" on the virtual machine manager server, run the Add-patch cmdlet to add the required files to the virtual machine manager patch cache, and then try the operation again. The file sp3.cab is located either at %windir%\driver cache\I386 on servername.domainname, or on the microsoft windows xp professional (enu, I386) installation media.n/if sp3.cab is not available, locate dc21x4.sys (version: 0.0) on the installation media, copy the file to "C:\program files\Microsoft system center virtual machine manager 2008 r2\patch import", and then run the add-patch cmdlet to add teh required files to the virtual machine manager patch cache.         so I'm doing a p2v from SCVMM 2008 r2 on a windows xp sp3 pc and get the error above.  How do I properly run the commands because everything i do the commands are not recognized from the Windows server 2008 ent r2 blade where scvmm is installed. I did copy over the file to the correct directory on my windows server 2008 ent r2. So need to know how i should inititate the commands properly or if there is any other options to be able to convert this win xp machine to a virtual.

I've run the power shell from scvmm's powershell and here are my commands:

1. get-vmmserver

2. servername

3. add-patch C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import\sp3.cab

It fails with the following:

Add-patch : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'C:\Program'.

At line:1 char:10

+ add-patch<<<< C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import\sp3.cab

+category info      :invalidargument: <:> [add-patch], parameterbindingexception

+Fullyqualifiederrorid : positionalparameternotfound,microsoft.systemcenter.virtualmachinemanager.cmdlets.patchcachecmdlet

What am i doing wrong?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:00 AM

Answers

• This doesn't help, as I've posted the same thing to this question and no feedback. I'm looking for help regarding this and what the EXACT Power shell commands are.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Chicojrman1 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:58 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies