none
I'm confused about SCCM boundaries (specifically IP Ranges)...

Question

• Hey guys,

Okay another newb question from me. Like I've said in several other posts I have taken over management of an SCCM server at my company that was set up by another individual. Today I'm looking at the SCCM boundaries in an effort to address some recent IP address schema changes made by our network admin team. In the past we've used a fairly simple 192.168.x.x scheme where the "x" in the 3rd octet is a static site identifier number and the "x" in the 4th octet is just a number assigned to some device (1-254). When a new site has one active it’s been really easy to add it. Say my SubNet ID number for my new site is “19”. So my IP range is for that site is 192.168.19.(1-254). I just navigate to Site Settings -> Boundaries and just add a new boundary with a subnet ID like “192.168.19.0”. Easy right?

Well the network team is now moving our corporate HQ to a new 10.10.x.x schema where the “x” in both the third and forth octet device could be any number between 1-254. So my IP range becomes 10.10.(1-254).(1-254). I have tried creating a new boundary with a SubNet ID of 10.10.0.0 but that does not appear to work. From what I’ve been able to gather online it looks like I’ll need to specify an IP Address RANGE in my boundary. I’ve tried to do this several times but I must still be getting it wrong. I’ve Googled around and seen articles where people talk about using IP ranges in SCCM but there I cannot seem to find any discussion or screenshots that document how to properly enter an IP range like this in as a boundary. Also my SCCM Unleashed book is equally vague. Is there anyone here that can provide me with a step by step process for creating an IP Range-based boundary for 10.10.x.x as described above?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Simply change the type of boundary. There are four types available in the drop-down:

- IP Subnet
    - AD Site
    - IPv6
    - IP Range

Always use IP range.

Here's a screenshot I ganked from somewhere on the web (the third drop-down is where you change the type):

Jason | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/community/members/jasonsandys/ | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kent AgerlundMVP, Moderator Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ZeusABJ Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZeusABJ Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Thank you for responding Jason. I understand where to find the drop down to specify a range of IP Addresses. What I'm saying is I don't know what to put in the fields for the RANGE. Thats where I'm confused. I've tried several combinations and I think I must just be doing it wrong. Can you show me a screenshot of a properly configured IP Range? Going back to my 10.10.(1-254).(1-254) example, wat do I enter for the "Starting address" and "Ending address" fields? Do I create one range like so:

Starting Address: 10.10.0.0
    Ending Address: 10.10.254.254

or do I maybe need 2 ranges, like so:

Ending Address: 10.10.0.254

Ending Address: 10.10.254.0

I'm just not sure what to put in there. I know its basic, but it has me stumped.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:41 PM
  •  

Ending Address: 10.10.254.254

This range would be fine. There is no need to split it.

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

User Group:  ConfigMgr Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tamas Karaszek Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:25 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:36 AM
  • An00p,

Thank you so much for replying. its sort of funny that you would be the one to provide the answer. I actually first got the idea to convert us to IP ranges based on a comment you made in this post on your blog:

https://anoopmannur.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/configmgr-sccm-how-to-find-out-overlapping-of-boundaries/

In your post there you said "I always prefer to have IP ranges instead of IP subnets and AD sites as SCCM boundaries." but you did not mention *HOW* to do that. I tried doing it myself but (as I said in this thread) I just couldn't figure out the right way to specify the range. I really appreciate the clarification.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Great To here that ZeusABJ :) I'll try to update the post.

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Great To here that ZeusABJ :) I'll try to update the post.

Yes your blog is a glorious thing. I check it daily and it has been a tremendous help to me professionally. Don't stop doing what you do!

:)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:40 PM