none
Clearing a Failed Update Installation

Question

• Greetings:

How can I clear out or otherwise reset the failed status of an update that is no longer required in SCE?

One of my clients was set to install the Outlook 2003 Junk Email filter.  However, the automated install failed, and since that time, Office 2003 has been removed and upgraded to Office 2007.  So Outlook 2003 patches are no longer required.

What can I do to indicate to SCE to ignore that failed install so it does not indicate the system as having a failed update, since it no longer needs that update?

Thanks

Keith Jakobs

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Thanks for bring your thought to us.

Yes, the previous configuration I've posted will prevent all other systems from this update. However, you can create a new computer group for the clients which in need of this update, and only make approve update for the specific computer group.

Hope it helps. 

-----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Keith Jakobs,

Thanks for post your question here.

Accoring to your description, I would suggest that go to Updates pane, then find the update which is no longer needs. Right click it and choose Decline.

I hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:27 AM
  •  

Wont that prevent the update from being installed on other systems where it is needed?

I guess I'll just wait until after it has been applied to all other stations.  Fortunately, it's a patch that should be updated regularly, so I dont have to worry about whether it will be deployed to systems I deploy in the future that may only have Office 2003.

However, this would be a good feature to add to the next release. 

We should have the ability to override or purge a failed or incomplete update on a specific system without having to decline the update.

Keith

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:15 AM
  • Hi Keith,

Thanks for bring your thought to us.

Yes, the previous configuration I've posted will prevent all other systems from this update. However, you can create a new computer group for the clients which in need of this update, and only make approve update for the specific computer group.

Hope it helps. 

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:38 AM