none
SCCM 2007, How to Remove the Duplicate Mac Address showing in the Duplicate Mac Address Report

Question

• I have a number of PCs that show up in the Duplicate Mac Address Report in the SCCM 2007 reports.  They all have different GUIDs and show a different Mac Address, but they also show the same Mac Address as a second Mac.  I believe that this is because we have some older pcs that we had difficulty creating an OSD disc for so we are still using our old method of cloning the hard drives off of the same master image for these type of pcs.  If I remove the pc from SCCM and run delcert.exe, the dup mac still shows when I run the install of the config client again.  Is there a way to manually remove this duplicate mac address from the registry or wherever SCCM is keeping that information?  I can't find anything on this.  There is a lot about duplicate GUIDs, but this is NOT the case with these PCs.

Appreciate any responses.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:35 AM

Answers

• It seems, you have only problem with the secondary MAC address of the machines. However, first or primary MAC is unique for all these machines??

It's interesting hear that you are not able to find "Smscfg.ini"

I had requested you to perform the steps mentioned in the above post on SCCM client machines showing up in the duplicate MAC report so that those machines will get new MAC adresses.

Also, You can use tranguid.exe to regerate GUID . Syntax of the command is tranguid.exe /r .  But this will work only in SCCM clients running in Mixed mode.

Anoop C Nair
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:17 AM

All replies

• That report is based on current MAC addresses.  Are the MAC Address valid? i.e. not 00:00:03:00:00:01 or somethign like that?

Did you sysprep the Base PC before imaging it?

http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 2:56 PM
  • The Mac Address is not valid, it is just one that is given by Windows Mobile when you connect a device such as a Palm USB reader and it puts a network file in there like 80000000000 as a MacAddress, but that Mac cannot be found by hunting on a switch, etc.  It just shows up as a duplicate Mac in the report and on the Configuration Manager that is on each PC. I found it in the registry, but if I change it in the registry, it doesn't change in Configuation Manager on the pc, etc.  So it must have been on there when they made the image. I just need to know if there is some way to get rid of that because my only other option is to load from scratch since these PCs will not load with SCCM OSD disc.  They will load, but they have problems, like continually rebooting, or crashing right away.

Thanks,

Joe
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hello -

1. Stop the SMS Agent Host service, 2. Rename the smscfg.ini.  
    3. Run ccmdelcert.exe and 4. restart the SMS Agent Host. Check whethere the new smscfg.ini has a new GUID.

Also, you can get more details from the below blogs

http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2007/11/07/duplicate-guids-fix-it-with-scripts.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

http://www.blogmynog.com/2008/10/03/script-to-fix-duplicate-smssccm-guids/

Anoop C Nair
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:33 AM
  • There is no smscfg.ini file in this.  This is not SMS, this is SCCM 2007.  I searched a number of these PCs for an smscfg.ini file with 0 results.

Thanks

Joe
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Again, to be clear...the duplicate Mac Address report shows duplicate macs.  These macs are a secondary mac address that show as a Windows Mobile Device. They show as 80:00:60:0F:E8:00   They are not even real. They do nothing, but if I uninstall the device in device manager, it comes back if I reboot or check for hardware changes.  I need to make them go away so that they don't show up on the duplicate mac address report.  It is not a matter of a duplicate GUID.  The GUIDs are different on each pc and good.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:42 AM
  • It seems, you have only problem with the secondary MAC address of the machines. However, first or primary MAC is unique for all these machines??

It's interesting hear that you are not able to find "Smscfg.ini"

I had requested you to perform the steps mentioned in the above post on SCCM client machines showing up in the duplicate MAC report so that those machines will get new MAC adresses.

Also, You can use tranguid.exe to regerate GUID . Syntax of the command is tranguid.exe /r .  But this will work only in SCCM clients running in Mixed mode.

Anoop C Nair
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:17 AM
  • Yes, I know this is an old forum post. I’m cleaning up old post.

Did you figure this out, if so how?

http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Monday, August 29, 2011 12:46 PM