none
SCCM software update notifications are not showing up

    Question

  • I have been using sccm for a while now and this issue just popped up, I have no idea what the cause is or where to look for a solution. I set up a deployment on Tuesday for patching right after MS released patches for september, and the next day patched our test systems, everything went fine, we patch our prod systems on Sundays when there are less people using them. On Sunday morning I came in and I couldn't for the life of me get a single sccm notification for our manually patched servers. I couldn't get any notifications after restarting the SMS Agent Host service, creating new deployments, nothing that usually works, can someone please point me in a direction so I can figure out what the actual issue is? BTW, there seems to be something up with the forums and I can't change the posting from Generl to Software Updates. So I realize that this post is somewhat in the wrong area but I can't do much about it. Thanks
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:11 PM

Answers

  • I found the reason, someone meddled when they shouldn't have. They set the client notifications to hide and didn't tell anyone.
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:44 AM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:41 PM

All replies

  • Are you connecting to the servers using RDP? The notifications only show up in the console session.

     


    John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum |
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:31 PM
  • I am connecting to them all as console, and also running a tsadmin.msc and kicking off all the other users just to make sure that wasn't the issue. And also using the /admin for the servers that are 2008.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 12:41 PM
  • It may be worth looking at some of the log files for Software Updates:- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693878.aspx This might help determine if the software updates are actually reaching the client, but just not displaying the notifications, or whether the updates simply aren't getting there.
    There could be a number of reasons why you don't get the updates, e.g.

    1. Changes made to the boundaries of the clients.
    2. Services being disabled.
    3. GPOs overriding the SCCM SUP settings on the clients.

    Regards,
    Tom Watson,
    E-Mail: Tom_...@...
    Blog: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/tom_watson
    Monday, September 20, 2010 1:34 PM
  • The WUAHandler and Updateshandler logs are both clean, so I know it's not a GPO overriding it, the smsagent host and all the other services seem to be up on the clients, another thing that may be helpful to know that I forgot to mention is that all of our automatic reboot servers in our collection patched just fine, the only ones we had issues with were the manual ones. None of the templates have been changed and we set them all up the same way. So I am sure you can understand my frustration when some of them work and others don't apparently for no reason. Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling this is going to be an unusual issue.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 1:47 PM
  • I found the reason, someone meddled when they shouldn't have. They set the client notifications to hide and didn't tell anyone.
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:44 AM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:41 PM