none
ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired

    Question

  • Running SCCM 2007 R2 / Windows Server 2008 / SQL2005

    Our SCCM environment experienced some issues. All but one are fixed.

    When trying to create a Update List it fails with the error below.
    Last month this was no problem at all.
    SQL server account is member of the local admins on the SCCM Site server.
    On the SCCM Site server I couldn't find any useful logfiles, on the DB server no errors are reported.

     Error: Failed to create the new update list:
     Name=20120911 - Windows 7 Update List
     ConfigMgr Error Object:
     instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus
     {
      CauseInfo = "";
      Description = "CSspConfigurationItem: SQL_ERROR";
      ErrorCode = 3242722562;
      File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspconfigurationitem.cpp";
      Line = 1891;
      Operation = "PutInstance";
      ParameterInfo = "";
      ProviderName = "ExtnProv";
      SQLMessage = "[HYT00][0][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired";
      SQLSeverity = 0;
      SQLStatus = 0;
      StatusCode = 2147749889;
     };
     CSspConfigurationItem: SQL_ERROR
    Errors
    The ConfigMgr Provider reported an error connecting to the ConfigMgr site database server. Verify that the SQL Server is online and that ConfigMgr site server computer account is an administrator on the ConfigMgr site database server.

    Is there a way to test the SCCM site server to database server connectivity?

    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    This issue may occur when adding too many updates at a time. The number of updates which can be added to an update list is machine specific because it requires local and SQL resources.

    Meanwhile, we do not recommend to add too many updates at a time. When we add a particular update, we refer to many other CI’s which are linked to an update and it involves querying different tables and running stored procedures.

    You may try to reduce the number of updates in one update list to test this issue.

    Regards,

    Sabrina 

    Since last month released updates contains about 6 or 7 updates i added them one by one and that seems to work.

    When adding the updates "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.135.1462.0)"  and "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.137.6.0)" it fails again, so these are causing the problem.

    Will now try the rest of the updates for 2003/2008

    Edit:

    All other update lists were created succesful, next step is deploying the W7 updates to the test collections...


    Edit2:
    All updates are deployed as expected (excluded the Windows defender updates)
    I also noticed that last night an updated version of the Definition 1.137 was released, maybe a problem was identified with this update
    • Edited by ITmab Friday, September 21, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:09 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:54 AM

All replies

  • Just tried creating a update list of 1 updates from a Windows 7 machine with the console installed and that worked.
    An update list created the same way with 6 updates fails again


    • Edited by ITmab Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:27 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

    This issue may occur when adding too many updates at a time. The number of updates which can be added to an update list is machine specific because it requires local and SQL resources.

    Meanwhile, we do not recommend to add too many updates at a time. When we add a particular update, we refer to many other CI’s which are linked to an update and it involves querying different tables and running stored procedures.

    You may try to reduce the number of updates in one update list to test this issue.

    Regards,

    Sabrina 

    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

    This issue may occur when adding too many updates at a time. The number of updates which can be added to an update list is machine specific because it requires local and SQL resources.

    Meanwhile, we do not recommend to add too many updates at a time. When we add a particular update, we refer to many other CI’s which are linked to an update and it involves querying different tables and running stored procedures.

    You may try to reduce the number of updates in one update list to test this issue.

    Regards,

    Sabrina 

    Since last month released updates contains about 6 or 7 updates i added them one by one and that seems to work.

    When adding the updates "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.135.1462.0)"  and "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.137.6.0)" it fails again, so these are causing the problem.

    Will now try the rest of the updates for 2003/2008

    Edit:

    All other update lists were created succesful, next step is deploying the W7 updates to the test collections...


    Edit2:
    All updates are deployed as expected (excluded the Windows defender updates)
    I also noticed that last night an updated version of the Definition 1.137 was released, maybe a problem was identified with this update
    • Edited by ITmab Friday, September 21, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:09 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:54 AM
  •  Same problem here and excluding "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597" and "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602" solved Timeout error.  I tried to add KB2267602 update to "update list" later and it succeeded but not KB915597. Can't figure out why this update causes problem but I think I can live without it.

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:20 PM