none
SCCM 2007 patch install query

Question

• Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a wee thing!

Is there a way in the SCCM console that I can see if updates were installed on a particular computer?  If not, is there a way that I can force the client to install the downloaded updates?  I can see 168 items downloaded into the CCM\Cache folder on the computer in question but within the setup event log there doesn’t appear to be a whole series of successfully installed update messages! 

I’ve left the computer for a couple of days hoping it would bring up a prompt informing the user that the updates were successfully installed and to restart but the prompt never came.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers,

Bonemister

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would use a tool like CLient Center to have a look a the client and see what it is up to. http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsclictr/

There is no where in the console that you can see this information.

Regards,

Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hi Jorgen,

Thanks for your reply, that tool sure does give me a lot of info, but not necessarily the info I am looking for!

With all of the patches downloaded to the CCM\Cache folder how do I get it to begin the install of the updates on the client?  Normally the install just begins when the updates are downloaded but in this instance the install process didn't begin so any help on how to get the downloaded updated installed would be greatly appreciated.  The client must be configured ok if it is pushed down the updates, it is just the install bit that is the problem.

It just seems really strange that nowhere in the properties of the client PC I can't see what has and hasn’t been pushed out to that computer in that collection.  Definitely a drawback.

Thanks,

Bonemister

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi folks,

I'm still struggling with this and would really appreciated anyone's help with it!  I've looked all over the Internet and can't see how to get the client to initiate the install of the downloaded patches from the CCM\Cache folder :(

Your's hopefully,

Bonemister

Thursday, July 03, 2014 7:13 AM
  • I'm still struggling with this and would really appreciated anyone's help with it!  I've looked all over the Internet and can't see how to get the client to initiate the install of the downloaded patches from the CCM\Cache folder

What does this mean???

CM07 Client will download the SU once they complete a scan from the SUP. By Default that will download all SU into their cache then install from there.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Thursday, July 03, 2014 11:47 AM
  • Hi Garth,

Thanks for your reply.

Basically I have a Windows 7 computer that hasn't been installing the updates that SCCM 2007 is pushing out to it.  If I look in the CCM \ Cache folder on that computer I can see the updates pulled down from the SCCM server but for some reason the updates don't be installed.

Normally when the updates are pushed down to the computers the install begins automatically and I can see in the setup log in the event viewer on the computers the updates were installed plus in the control panel can see the installed updates listed.

So what I am looking for is how do I initiate the install of the updates that SCCM has pushed down to the computer.  Even if there is a way to delete the updates from the computer and force SCCM to recheck the PC and re-download the updates and hopefully begin the install, but the thing is I don't know why the updates didn't install in the first place.

I've even tried initiating all of the actions within the Config Manager client in the Control Panel on the machine to see if that would kick things back to life and begin installing the updates but that didn't work either.

I can see the PC within SCCM and all look well with it i.e. client is installed and active.

So any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bonemister

Thursday, July 03, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Have you looked at the log files? They will tell you why the SU has not applied or why it failed? How many PCs are affected by this issue? Have you tried to manually install the SU on the PC to see what error is displayed?

CM07 will automatically try to re-install the SU after 7 days, if they are not detected on the PCs any more assuming the deployment still is applicable to them.

Thursday, July 03, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Hi Gareth,

Yeah I've look at the logs but there are just so many log files with so much info in them that I'm not sure what I am looking at.  What log file in particular tells me about the installation notifications i.e. why iy didn't apply or why it failed when trying to install updates?

I have around 10 PCs out of 1800 that are showing the same problems.

I just used the CCMCLEAN tool to remove the SCCM client from one of the offending computers and deleted it out of the SCCM console and out of AD and readded it to the domain and ran a discovery and it picked up the again in the SCCM console and pushed out the client again and it is reporting asN having the client installed and is active.

Now if I go back to the client within the CCM\Cache folder the updates don't seem to have downloaded after I reinstalled the client.

So something really strange is going on!

Any further help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Bonemister.

Thursday, July 03, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Did you manually try to install the SU on a PC to see what error you get?

Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi Garth,

Yes I did install an update manually onto the PC which I can see in the Cache folder and it installed ok but for some reason which I can't figure out is why the rest of the updates won't install so any further help on getting those updates installed would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Bonemister

Friday, July 04, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Use the superflow to troubleshoot your SU deployment issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff385001.aspx

Friday, July 04, 2014 11:48 AM
  • Hi Garth,

Thanks for all of your replies and help!

I'm afraid no matter what I do I can't get SCCM to install the updates which reside in the CCM\Cache folder on some computers.

It is really strange that the client appears to be working ok in that it can see the SCCM server and can download the updates, I just can't figure out why the install process doesn't begin.

As a test I plan to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro and push out the SCCM client and see does it then install the required updates.  If that works, I can only assume that there is a problem with the computers themselves i.e. rogue registry entries or something.

Cheers,

Bonemister

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 1:28 PM
  • I think that you are right, it is a setting on the PCs and those take forever to track down.  It might be worth contact CSS directly so that they can work with you to solve this issue.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 1:48 PM