none
Monitor Reset Mode

Question

• Hello!

If it possible for each monitor currently installed in a SCOM RMS I would like to know if its reset is automatic or manual:

- with automatic I mean based on another event (for example Windows Event or on Performances) or on Time Reset.

- with manual I mean reset by operator.

I thought to use some Powershell Scripts but I do not know wich field select.

Any hint?

Thank you!

Lizzie

Monday, July 20, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• Here is a simple one which lists monitors with a monitor type that contains "manual":

USE OperationsManager
    SELECT MTV.DisplayName
      FROM MonitorView MTV
      INNER JOIN MonitorType MTT
      ON MTT.MonitorTypeId = MTV.MonitorTypeId
      WHERE MTT.MNTName LIKE '%Manual%'
      GROUP BY MTV.DisplayName

I used a "GROUP BY" because there are two entries in the table for user-generated monitors, maybe because of languages...anyway if you need more data in the result, tell me.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Lizzie,

Does querying the OperationsManager database would be a solution for you ? or do you really want to use powershell ?
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:23 AM
  • for me is ok also via DB Query but I have not idea which table query and what query use.

Have you some suggestion (for example a query :-)  ) ?

Thank you!
    Lizzie
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Here is a simple one which lists monitors with a monitor type that contains "manual":

USE OperationsManager
    SELECT MTV.DisplayName
      FROM MonitorView MTV
      INNER JOIN MonitorType MTT
      ON MTT.MonitorTypeId = MTV.MonitorTypeId
      WHERE MTT.MNTName LIKE '%Manual%'
      GROUP BY MTV.DisplayName

I used a "GROUP BY" because there are two entries in the table for user-generated monitors, maybe because of languages...anyway if you need more data in the result, tell me.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:24 PM
  • hey lizzie, here's one i wrote up which should give you all of the pertinent data you require to go chase them down:

SELECT mv.name,
           mv.enabled,
           mv.displayname,
           mtv.name,
           mpv.name
      FROM monitorview mv 
           inner join monitortypeview mtv on mv.monitortypeid=mtv.id
           inner join managementpackview mpv on mtv.managementpackid = mpv.id
     WHERE mv.IsUnitMonitor = 'True' and
           mtv.name like '%manualreset%'

also, don't forget about this gem: http://blogs.technet.com/timhe/archive/2009/01/15/announcing-the-greenmachine-utility-for-operationsmanager-rtm-sp1-and-r2.aspx

::marcus _ marcusoh.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Hello!
    Thank you both!

They are two very useful queries!

@Marcus: I've already emplyed the tool you posted. It's very useful! Thank you so much!

Bye!

Lizzie
    Friday, July 24, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Marcus, is the "management pack" displayed in the results the management pack for the *monitor* or for the *monitor type*? i'm showing a bunch of monitors with "sharepoint" in their display names, but the MP in the query says Microsoft.Windows.Library. is there a way to display the management pack that the actual monitor is in?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:36 PM