none
SCOM 2012 RC - Citrix NetScalers

Question

• Hi all,

So...I have SNMP enabled on my Citrix NetScaler devices.  I have all required SNMP services installed, configured and running on my 2008 R2 / SCOM 2012 server.  Citrix NetScaler management pack has been installed, and NetScaler devices have been discovered.  I have the freeware, Trap Receiver GUI running on this server also.  Problem?

I can see via Trap Receiver GUI that the NetScaler devices are sending alerts and the Trap Receiver is receiving them.  However, I can't see any alerts, events etc in SCOM.  I'm pretty sure the issue ISN'T from the device > server, since Trap Receiver confirms that.

What am I missing in SCOM?

FYI - I had the same drama in SCOM 07 R2, this is why I upgraded to 2012 RC in an effort to resolve this issue.

Cheers

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:29 AM

Answers

• Hi, Please make sure that the snmp trap service starts before the health service. The following thread discussed a similar issue, please check if any information on it will help: SCOM unable to monitor SNMP traps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/6826f6a6-bbc3-444b-9b18-288d7fedac3e
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 28, 2011 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:37 AM

All replies

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi, Please make sure that the snmp trap service starts before the health service. The following thread discussed a similar issue, please check if any information on it will help: SCOM unable to monitor SNMP traps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/6826f6a6-bbc3-444b-9b18-288d7fedac3e
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 28, 2011 9:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:37 AM
  • My two cents:

Apart from checking the SNMP Service and SNMP TRap service set to auto and started before HealthService (System Center Management Service for the newbees), ensure  that you can resolve the name of the SCOM Management server which will act as trap-reciever. I had the same issue and we resolved it by checking if the server was pingable and once confirmed, checked if SNMP port was set to 162. Then run discovery from SCOM Console by running the discovery wizard and it works.

Its tricky to configure SNMP initially with SCOM, just remember the basics, ports, FQDN test etc and its all downhill from there.

Kapil Dham

Kapil Dham
    Friday, December 02, 2011 7:43 PM