none
Deploy .Net framework 3.5 sp1 via WSUS or SCCM ??

Question

• Hi Guys
    I would like to know if any one of you have had to deploy .net framework 3.5 to your xp machines in your domain.

could you please tell me what would be the best option and why
    so far my research says there are 3 different ways of achieving this..but i dont know which one if the easiert, safest, most controlable

1. Through GP? can anyone give some nice 'to do' links, has anyone done this sucssefully?

2. Through WSUS, i have found there is an update for 3.5 sp1 .net framework which i can push out to my xp OU in the domain through this - but has anyone tried to achive thsis or have they achieved it sucssefully? please guide

3. we have SCCM 2007, so if we can we can push the 3.5 sp1. package to xp collections.. but then again is this possible and has anyone done this through using sccm?

or if there is any other better automated way of doing this please feel free to reply..
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

We are having to do this before deploying couple of other pieces of softwares, as 3.5 is the pre-requisites of those.

---- To add we have 4-5 remote sites where we do not have any wsus/sccm servers....sccm servers are set to use BITS but i am not sure what the wus set up is as ia m fairly new.... so what effect could it have on the WAN, if i try and push these out through sccm or wsus. ...i.e. if it is possible to do it through wus....
    Regards
    Rucky
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rucky,

We have deployed .Net framework with ConfigMgr. several times and it works. We have also successfully deployed the update through Configmgr/WSUS. When you ConfigMgr/WSUS then updates are not pulled from the WSUS server, they are downloaded from the distribution point which should be ok for your remote sites.y

the easiest way is to use the wsus/configmgr method. With this solution you are certain that only clients that need the package will download and install it.
    Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:18 PM
  • A bit of correction,,,at the moment our SCCM is not integrated with WSUS...they are installed on the same sever but literally stand alone to each other...
    could i create a package and then push it out....

or should i just approve it in WUS and then push it out via that method leaving SCCm completey out of the picture !!

please guide

regards
    rucky
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Hi Kent, have you any step by step , by any chance,
    and the settings that you used before pushing them out, ??
    i would be thankful if you could guide me in the right direction pleasE?
    regards
    rucky
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Wsus would be nice and easy. If you decide to distribute it using ConfigMgr. then take a look at this - http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=882
    Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/members/Agerlund/default.aspx | The Danish community for System Center products
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:26 PM