none
Hyper-V / SCVMM Agent / Error / access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

Question

• Background

W2k8 Ent / With Hyper-V Role - in a workgroup

Hyper-V - Version: 6.0.6001.18016 (i believe this is with all the updates)

I have a SCVMM Server

Installed an agent on the Hyper-V / Default Ports etc.

When i reboot the Hyper-V server , i am not able to manage any of my VM's as this service fails to start (or starts but shutdown immediately)

Event ID - 7023

The Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service terminated with the following error:

An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.

Any insight is appreciated.

TIA

PPATIL

Prakash
    Monday, January 26, 2009 10:51 PM

Answers

• Maybe you were running two applications, and they are trying to access the same sockets.

What Microsoft says about ur problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124

WSAEACCES (10013)

• Translation: Permission denied.
    • Description: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way that is forbidden by its access permissions. For example, this error occurs when a broadcast address is used for sendto but the broadcast permission is not set by using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST). Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind (Wsapiref_6vzm.asp) function is called (in Microsoft Windows NT 4 .0 Service Pack 4 [SP4] or later), another program, service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and later, and it is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

Fawzi
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi PPATIL,

SCVMM requires Active Directory in your environment.   I would suspect this would be causing your problem.  See the SCVMM Network Requirements found here.

-matt

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • The SCVMM server is part of an AD Forest. Its just the Hyper-V server that's in a workgroup.

The documentation states that this scenarios is similar to a Hyper-V in a DMZ which is not required to be part of AD. I am installing the SCVMM agent on the Hyper-V server manually which creates a security file which is used to add host under SCVMM.

Let me know if you want to know any more details.

PPATIL

Prakash
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Maybe you were running two applications, and they are trying to access the same sockets.

What Microsoft says about ur problem

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124

WSAEACCES (10013)

• Translation: Permission denied.
    • Description: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way that is forbidden by its access permissions. For example, this error occurs when a broadcast address is used for sendto but the broadcast permission is not set by using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST). Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind (Wsapiref_6vzm.asp) function is called (in Microsoft Windows NT 4 .0 Service Pack 4 [SP4] or later), another program, service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and later, and it is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.

Fawzi
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Ok. I did some basic testing using Netmon but couldnt find any thing specific. The agent is listening on port 80/443 and also did ot see any socket/connections which conflict. I tried using different ports but the same results.

Seems like getting the SCVMM to work is looking like a pain. May be i will stick with the earlier version for now.

PPATIL

Prakash
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:11 PM
  • What is the exact error you get when trying to add the DMZ host?
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:05 PM
    Owner
  • There was nothing else than the error i already mentioned earlier in the post. Unfortunately i don't thave the same setup now so can't get to the details.
    Prakash
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:26 PM