none
Microsoft Updates suddenly stops at 50% of downloading.

General discussion

• Hi.

We have a fully working environment with SCCM 2007. We update 150+ servers and approx 650 clients through CM and it usually works like a charm. This mounths updates worked fine too, no problem distributing them as usual with CM. BUT, i have now gotten 3 cases where all the updates except one has been downloaded to the client. The last update will not pass 50% of downloading no matter how long we wait. So, what i see in the Software Updates Installation progresswindow is now several updates with status "Preparing for installation" and one with status "Downloading 50%".

I have of course done some checking to solve the problem like checking logs, connectivity, errorreports etc .. ..
    Usually when there is some kind of errors i find the answers in the logs but this time they are clean as far as i can see.
    The strange thing is that all updates except one were downloaded smoothly as always and that´s on approx 650 clients.
    The update that won´t be downloaded is Kb968389. Any known issues with that one ? Since that update won´t reach 100%
    the other updates won´t be installed.

Any suggestions ? Have never experienced anything like this this before.
    I´m a beginner at this (SCCM) but this far i really like it :)

Thanks in advance
    Best regards
    Stefan

(SCCM 2007, WSUS 3.0, Win XP Professional SP3)

• Changed type Eric Zhang CHN Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:23 AM no response
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:54 PM

All replies

• This is a common problem actually. I have never found a "good" solution for it. I generally run a repair on the client and that seems to fix it but that's not the best solution I know.

John Marcum | http://www.TrueSec.com/en/Training.htm | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any error in Windowsupdate.log on the client?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:22 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘General Discussion’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:23 AM
  • This just started for me aswell! After releasing all October patches and parsing them into my image. KB968389 just wont download and install. It stops at 50% with no apperent errors in any logs. Has any one else experienced this?
    It was not a problem to install this update into my image before releasing october patches...
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I have the same problem with that exact patch failing at 50% on a handful of machines.  I've tried a repair on the clients and it does not work.  I've also installed that patch by hand, rebooted, and SCCM still thinks it's stuck at 50%, but the patch is in the CCM cache.   Anyone else have an idea?  I may try to clean the SoftwareDistribution folder up next.  One note, it appears the KB968389 patch was an optional update from back in August.  I don't recall seeing these problems until October, which is when MSFT released the Security Patch MS09-059 (KB975467) and there is clearly some metadata tying these two patches together.  Is it possible that the WU detection method for these two patches has a problem?

For now I've removed the 968389 patch from my deployments, but it appears some machines are still stuck with it.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Hi guys ,

I have got it solved yesterday !

You need to download the latest Windows update Agent 7.4.2600.x and deploy it to your machine having trouble .
    This solves the issue . It seems to be a problem between the update and the version of the WUA client .

Hope it helps ,

Kenny

Hope it helps , Kenny Buntinx www.scug.be/blogs/sccm/
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:12 AM
  • I checked my clients and most of them already had the 7.4 WUAgent.  I tried to uninstall/reinstall WU and resetauthorization, removed softwaredistribution folder,  nothing worked.  The only way I've been able to fix these clients is to by removing the SCCM client then reinstalling.  I've tried a repair and it does not work.

I'm assuming there is something stuck in a CCM WMI class that gets removed during this process.  Anyone know where to look in WMI where the client stores info about SUP deployments?  I'd like to try a surgical strike rather than carpet bombing these clients?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Hi again !

Sorry for being so quiet but i have been home ill for a while and then a 2-week trip but now i´m in place again:)

Thx all for your replies. I will try what you have tried and see if that will take care of the problem. Some of the things
    you have tried i have tried already with no result unfortunately, see below.

I have also tried to uninstall/reinstall WU and resetauthorization, removed softwaredistribution folder,  but nothing worked.
    I have tried to repair  the clients and it did not work.  I have also installed that patch by hand, rebooted, and SCCM still thinks it's stuck at 50%.
    I have checked my clients and most of them have the 7.4.7600.226 WUAgent

I will keep on trying and get back as soon as i have something new to report :)

/Stefan
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:05 AM
  • I too am having trouble with this issue, with the same patch (this is the second time we have had this issue). I have tried numerious things all with no luck.... One client appears to be working after restoring the PC from a previous ghost image (thankfully we had this as this machine is a beast with 40+gb of software loaded), uninstalling SCCM, running all updates via windows updates, then reinstalling SCCM.... Currently we have about a dozen our ot 200 clients with this issue. I too saw that there was a previous patch that is not downloaded on our server, i wonder if this patch  is "missing" and is stopping the clients from completing?

Bill
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:49 PM
  • The only things I can add is make 100% sure you are not deploying either of the patches I mention above.  I did find one deployment where it was hiding on some affected clients (Check the status is NO for deployed).  However that still did not fix some machines.  I found that I could still deploy software packages so I created a Clean SCCM package that included the ccmclean.exe file.  I kicked off a script to stop BITS, WUAUSERV, and then CCMEXEC (It seemed like the uninstall had a better success rate doing this first).  Then ran ccmclean.exe /q.  I then sleep for 8 min and then fire ccmsetup.exe from a network share.  (Don't try to do this from your CCM Cache as it's gone at this point.

This fixed every machine that still had the problem without manually touching each one.  If you need the script I could post it.

You might want to try these links that I found helpful to confirm the problem:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/configmgrsum/thread/23f5f406-aa1f-420a-83b7-de1c2f751935
    http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m_197187/mpage_1/key_Inventory%252CHistory/tm.htm#197187

The 2nd link shows where to look in WMI for the running jobs (which is the same as what Client Center will show you).  I did confirm with wmiexplorer.exe that no other jobs were pending so the next step was the uninstall/reinstall fix.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hi Joey ,

I still do not believe in the fact you have to reinstall the client to solve this issue.It seems a drastic measure for something like this. For me the problem is related to the WSUS scan engine , not the SCCM client itself ( however the sccm lclient is leveraging on the WUA engine ) .

I did solve all my clients by running an update on the latest WUA engine.

However , if it solved your issue , I am pleased for you .

Kenny
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Hi

We have the same problem with this KB968389 about 20 clients right now. The update works for our other 600+ clients in Sweden / Norway / Belgium
    The update of the WUA engine don't solve our problems.

We have an workaround for it

1. Install the KB968389 manually on the failing clients
    2. Initiate an "Software Updates Scan Cycle" and wait for the scan to be completed.
    3. Reboot the client
    4. Clear the Temporary Program Download Folder and reboot again
    5. The problem should now be fixed.

Has anyone a faster/better workaround/solution for this problem ?
    Does anyone know if MS SCCM Team is investigating this issue with this patch ?

// Daniel
    Monday, November 30, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi again !

Well, i have now tried everything i have found on the internet and of course what you guys have tried and recommended.
    The only working solution i have found is the way Daniel  above is describing.

1. Install the KB968389 manually on the failing clients
    2. Initiate an "Software Updates Scan Cycle" and wait for the scan to be completed.
    3. Reboot the client
    4. Clear the Temporary Program Download Folder and reboot again
    5. The problem should now be fixed.

Even if it works with this solution above i sometimes still having problem to "empty" the agentwindow (the window that pops up showing you the progress of downloading/installing/verifying the updates). It seem that after manually installing the KB968389 it waits for the veryfying "signal" but since you have installed it manually the verifying never comes. (hope you understand what i mean ...). Is there anyway i can empty this window manually ? Is there some kind of cache that holds this information ?

Thanks this far for all response by the way. I really appreciate it :)

Best regards
    Stefan
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hi Kenny,

I did try reinstalling WSUS including the Software Dist folders and I had already pushed the 7.4 client out to these machines ahead of time.  I agree it was something stuck with the wuagent, but for me the only programatic way to do this was to blow away the entire CM client.  This didn't seem like a big deal as I could still deploy this "remove CM" package via CM and have the script then reinstall the CM agent.  The Advertisment history was still there on these machiens if I'm not mistaken so it was not a big deal.  I'm still surprised at the silence from MSFT on this one.

I will add that I tried the steps posted by Daniel and they didn't initally work, but I think the problem was that I didn't force a reboot as I didn't want to interrupt those machines.  If you have the time that is probably the route to take, if not get out the sledge :)
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:40 PM
  • we are seeing this same problem also.  I don't mind sending out another SMS package to apply the patch and reboot, but where is this temporary download folder... the \ccm\cache folder???
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi Kenny,

I did try reinstalling WSUS including the Software Dist folders and I had already pushed the 7.4 client out to these machines ahead of time.  I agree it was something stuck with the wuagent, but for me the only programatic way to do this was to blow away the entire CM client.  This didn't seem like a big deal as I could still deploy this "remove CM" package via CM and have the script then reinstall the CM agent.  The Advertisment history was still there on these machiens if I'm not mistaken so it was not a big deal.  I'm still surprised at the silence from MSFT on this one.

I will add that I tried the steps posted by Daniel and they didn't initally work, but I think the problem was that I didn't force a reboot as I didn't want to interrupt those machines.  If you have the time that is probably the route to take, if not get out the sledge :)

The reason your advertisments history are still there is because there was no change in the smscfg.ini

I found it also very silent from the msft side ...

Kenny
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi scchram

you can find the cache for sccm from

start->settings->Control Panel -> Configuration Manager
    Click on the tab "advanced" and then click on "Delete Files" to emty the local cache.

// Daniel

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:07 PM
  • does this simply clear out the\ccm\cache folder? or does it reset other flags?\

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 2:26 AM
  • We're also having the same problem with this update.  Has Microsoft posted a solution for this? 

IT Professional
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:46 PM
  • We're also having the same problem with this update.  Has Microsoft posted a solution for this? 

IT Professional

Having the same problem too! Any word from MS?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:52 AM
  • As far as i know, no.

I have stopped the update (Kb968389) from being distributed since the many problems it caused.
    Have tried everything i have found in the internet and all suggestions in here but still have the
    same problem ...
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi

I followed Kennys idea regading update the Windows Update Agent to 7.4.7600.266 from

http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x32.exe

And I am installing it on all clients with CMD = WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /wuforce

It seems like that is woking. I'll let you all know if the problem reappear.

// Daniel

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Hi Again

The problem still exist but it does not happens very often now but it still happen..

// Daniel

Monday, January 17, 2011 8:08 AM