none
Determine version and service pack level of SCCM 2007

Question

•  

Installed the Service Pack 1 for SCCM 2007 on primary site server and apparently it was successful with no error messages, but would like a simple way to see the build number and service pack level posted somewhere as a means of verification, short of delving into the registry. Accessing properties of the primary site or checking on Help -> About Config Mgr just indicates the version - 4.00.5931.0000. Would like to see something similar to Windows or SQL Server indicating Service Pack...

Also, is it required to apply the SCCM 2007 SP1 to the distribution point server which is on a different machine as well?

Thanks...

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:53 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I don't have same problem.

So you might have some other issue or you need to wait for awhile.

From ConfigMgr Console --> Site Database --> Site Management --> right click your site + Properties:

I get nicely the version number 4.00.6221.1000

Help --> About Systeem Center Configuration Manager displays the same correct version number.

When you update site server to SP1, ConfigMgr automatically will update the necessary components on other site systems.

However, ConfigMgr clients are not automatically update, so you must somehow update your clients (software distribution, client push etc).

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:17 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, I don't have same problem.

So you might have some other issue or you need to wait for awhile.

From ConfigMgr Console --> Site Database --> Site Management --> right click your site + Properties:

I get nicely the version number 4.00.6221.1000

Help --> About Systeem Center Configuration Manager displays the same correct version number.

When you update site server to SP1, ConfigMgr automatically will update the necessary components on other site systems.

However, ConfigMgr clients are not automatically update, so you must somehow update your clients (software distribution, client push etc).

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:17 AM
  • The easiest way (in my opinion) is to just expand Site Database and then click Site Management. We display the build number of the site in the results pane.

For RTM, it is 4.00.5931.0000

For SP1, it is 4.00.6221.1000

I do recall there is an MMC issue that prevents us from always displaying the proper build/SP in the Help About, so don't relay on it.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Wally,

The correct version/build no. for SP1, shows up in a SCCM admin console running under Vista SP1.

However, on XP SP3 and the sccm server itself that is running Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 it still shows the old RTM build no.

And this happens in both scenarios: Help->About and Site Management->Properties.

Anyway, SP1 was applied because we wanted to avail of vPro support for the new Intel enabled chips - If this functionality is available then it would be one way to confirm SP1.

In any case, it's not a critical issue but wish Microsoft would have been more consistent in versioning information for confirmation.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Sorry, but I already responded that it is an MMC issue we weren't able to work around for the Help About.

However, I've never heard of the wrong version being reported in Site Properties. If you have that, I'd open a case with product support. Anyway, I use the method I mentioned - just view the build/version in Site Management.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Wally,

I just attempted to upgrade to SP1 from RTM and my Help-About is showing 4.00.6221.1000 and my Site Properties is showing 4.00.5931.0000. 

I wasn't watching the upgrade directly, but had it up on my screen.  It caught my eye when it started to reboot.  I didn't think it had finished so I checked the Event Log and found that what caused it to reboot was the Windows Installer to "complete or continue the configuration of 'Windows Automated Installation Kit'".  Not sure what to do at this point.  Everything I've checked in the console seems to work, it even has the new Asset Intelligence section.  Will continue poking around.

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:32 PM
  • I've not ever heard of Site Properties not updating properly, only the Help About stuff. Something unique or new to me then.

Personally, I'd try a site reset to see if that fixes the Site Properties version reporting.

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:19 PM
  • It's all messed up now.  Services won't start.  Will be calling Microsoft Support this morning.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:12 PM
  • You may need the SP1 hotfix for Site Component Manager. The last I heard, it was a PSS available only hotfix.

Sorry you are having issues, I've not experienced it myself. Guess my VPC image environment is too clean :-)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:20 PM
  • All is well now!  Turns out it was having problems a .CT2 file in the ...\inboxes\hman.box folder.  Also, the executive service was hokey.  After removing the .CT2 file and applying a patch for the executive service, everything finally updated.  Version numbers on both Help-About and Site Properties are the same and correct.  Both of these issues were "known" issues.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Which patch did you apply?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:07 PM
  • The patch the MS Support Technician had me apply was KB954214.  I don't think it's publicly available yet.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Great glad to hear it. CT2 files are used to tell the site what the actual site configuration is. So makes sense, though I've never heard of it not processing them and causing a backlog of them.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:25 PM
  •  Wally [MSFT] wrote:
    Great glad to hear it. CT2 files are used to tell the site what the actual site configuration is. So makes sense, though I've never heard of it not processing them and causing a backlog of them.

Just FYI: I ran into this issue a couple of days ago: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3474378&SiteID=17 and Stu has seen this issue, too: http://blogs.technet.com/stufox/archive/2008/06/05/smsexec-fails-after-sp1-upgrade-with-error-00000080.aspx 

Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:09 AM
  • Hello Wally

How can I determine if the R2 Update is properly installed? I just installed the R2 update which lists the version as 4.00.6221.1000

Also, do I need to run a "push" to all clients to update them to the R2 level?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:39 PM
  • There is another way to determine what level you are at without loading a console, as well as if R2 is installed ... it's called  ... the site control file.

\Inboxes\SiteCtrl.box\sitectrl.ct0

It'll show you the version number of the site under the Site Definition block called <Full Version>, and also should show if it's been upgraded to R2.

Usual disclaimer: The site control file is like playing with fire, you play with it beyond just reading it and you will get burnt. Lesson being, never change it manually, ever. Use the Console or SDK to do that.

Edit: Another way is to use trusty WBEMTEST, connect to the site server via \\\root\sms\site_<SITECODE> then run this WQL query:

Code Snippet

Select * from SMS_SITE

It should return a single instance object, double click it and one of the properties is Version and BuildNumber ...
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:00 PM
  • I found something else

In the SCCM2007 Console, right click the site under Site Management, select properties. The properties window lists the version and if R2 is installed.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 8:28 PM
  • I found two sites in my hierarchy yesterday where the local admins forgot to install R2, so I too am looking for a way to programmatically check if R2 is installed on my sites.  The sitectrl file makes the most sense for me because I already have a script that connects to each site in our hierarchy every day and it already parses some of the data out of the sitectrl file to get certain information.  I was going to add the check for R2 in there as well.

The only line I can find in the sitectrl file that refers to R2 is:

PROPERTY <IsR2CapableRTM><><><31>

Is that the line that I should be checking? 

If so, does anyone have information about what the values might mean in that line?  I already have R2 installed on all my sites (checked them all manually yesterday and already resolved the two that did not have it), so I don't know what the sitectrl file would look like if R2 were not installed.

Thanks so much!  --Jo

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Mr. Bar Code IlIllIlIIllIllllIll said:

Hello Wally

How can I determine if the R2 Update is properly installed? I just installed the R2 update which lists the version as 4.00.6221.1000

Also, do I need to run a "push" to all clients to update them to the R2 level?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back here. There is no site upgrade to R2 (it is an add-on you install onto an SP1 site). Same goes for clients, there is no upgrade to R2, they remain at SP1.

The easiest way, in my opinion to determine if R2 is installed is to use the Site Properties dialog. It has an entry for "R2 Installed". If so, it will say "Yes". The build number/version remains at 4.00.6221.1000 (SP1 version as R2 is not a new version).
    Wally Mead
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:15 PM
  • SMS Marshall said:

There is another way to determine what level you are at without loading a console, as well as if R2 is installed ... it's called  ... the site control file.

\Inboxes\SiteCtrl.box\sitectrl.ct0

It'll show you the version number of the site under the Site Definition block called <Full Version>, and also should show if it's been upgraded to R2.

Usual disclaimer: The site control file is like playing with fire, you play with it beyond just reading it and you will get burnt. Lesson being, never change it manually, ever. Use the Console or SDK to do that.

Edit: Another way is to use trusty WBEMTEST, connect to the site server via \\\root\sms\site_<SITECODE> then run this WQL query:

Code Snippet

Select * from SMS_SITE

It should return a single instance object, double click it and one of the properties is Version and BuildNumber ...

However, since the version does not change when R2 is installed, this won't help (that I know of). And, even with the caveat already stated *you should NOT be in the Site Control File -  you can kill your site*. Stay out of it and use other supported methods of finding things.
    Wally Mead
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:18 PM
  • FYI... just an update on using the sitectrl.ct0 file.  I built a new site and before R2 was installed, the sitectrl file did not contain this line at all:

Then, after installing R2, the line exists.

So, in my script, I look in the sitectrl.ct0 file at each site and search for this line.  If it exists, then I know R2 is installed.  If I don't find that line in the sitectrl file, I know that someone didn't do what they were supposed to do and I automatically generate the necessary data to ensure that the installation of R2 is addressed.

I tried using the wmi query, but R2 status does not appear there - only version & buildnumber are available.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:30 PM
  • jmzack said:

I found two sites in my hierarchy yesterday where the local admins forgot to install R2, so I too am looking for a way to programmatically check if R2 is installed on my sites.  The sitectrl file makes the most sense for me because I already have a script that connects to each site in our hierarchy every day and it already parses some of the data out of the sitectrl file to get certain information.  I was going to add the check for R2 in there as well.

The only line I can find in the sitectrl file that refers to R2 is:

Is that the line that I should be checking? 

If so, does anyone have information about what the values might mean in that line?  I already have R2 installed on all my sites (checked them all manually yesterday and already resolved the two that did not have it), so I don't know what the sitectrl file would look like if R2 were not installed.

Thanks so much!  --Jo

We don't do programmatic stuff in this forum, you'd have to try the SDK forum for this question. However, the property you mention is NOT included in a SP1 site, it only appears when the site has R2 installed on it. So that could be one way to check. Other than that, the admin console check that has been mentioned before, or the ConfigMgr2007R2.log :-)
    Wally Mead
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Hello,

sorry for poping the thread up again, but i have installed R2 and still appears in the site managment that "R2 installed: No" i have checked the event viewer to see if there is any error it was clean and says that SCCM "Configuration completed successfully". Also i have applied R2 on a child site it has been reported "R2 installed: Yes" so any clue what is happening?

Regards,
    Ahmed Aboelnaga
    • Proposed as answer by allexb Monday, April 27, 2009 7:19 AM
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Go to site properties:
    http://xmages.net/out.php/i197815_sccmr2.jpg
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:24 AM
  • R2 is installed on our Primary Site server. Is it usefull to deploy it on all Secondary Site Servers too?

Niels
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Yes and the computers where you have the Config Mgr. management console installed.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:39 AM