none
Runbooks initiated by Service Request fail

Question

• Hi,

I have a runbook that is initiated by a service request, which fails once the service request start. I can run this fine from the orchestrator console. It doesn't appear to be a permissions problem. I've ensured that the workflow account and the Orchestrator runas accounts are local admin of the Management server and the Orchestrator server. Both are also orchestrator users.

Here's a copy of the error:

Any ideas?

thanks

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:11 AM

Answers

• As a first step in the runbook you could add a temporary activity to write all the parameters to a file to confirm this.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

• Marked as answer by Jason Schuster Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:29 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 10:09 AM

All replies

• It turns out this error is due to the runbook being checked out. Which I've fixed. The runbook runs, however I do not get what I was expecting. Basically my runbook creates an AD user. This works perfectly fine when running from the Orchestrator console, however nothing out of the runbook with SCSM.

It's a concern with the x icon, how there are no error messages to indicate that it's failed. In the SCSM console, both the Service request and the runbook indicate that it's a success.

Any ideas as to where I can go with this?

thanks

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

Could you show us your runbook, initialize data activity details and the runbook automated activity parameters tab?

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi Anders,

Is this from the SCSM console or the Orchestrator console?

thanks

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Runbook - a screenshot of your runbook in SCO
    Initialize data - Usually the first activity within a runbook. You might have another one? However, just open up the first activity and show us the details of that one (in SCO)
    Runbook Automated Activity - When you have the runbook inside SCMS you can create an automated activity template from the runbook. On that template there is a tab called Runbook where you map the different input parameters sent to SCO. The template is to be found within SCSM.

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Thanks Anders, here we go:

Runbook and initalise data:

Runbook automated activity:

Thanks

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:03 AM
  • It doesn't look like you have mapped the parameters in the runbook automated activity as they all are using the default mappings. You have to map each input parameter to SCO to the corresponding field in the Service Request (or related activities within the Service Request).

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:10 AM
  • OK, I see what you mean, Eg Inital Password is mapped to Text1. Do I need create these? Is there a blog that explains what I need to do here?

thanks again for you help.

regards

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Yeah. So Orchestrator is trying to get the Initial Password from the field Text1 in the Service Request. And Text1 is probably empty which results in the whole runbook failing.

Start with watching these two videos:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/11/09/demo-automating-service-request-fulfillment-from-the-scsm-service-catalog-with-orchestrator.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/11/10/demo-automating-service-request-fulfillment-from-the-scsm-service-catalog-with-orchestrator-real-world-examples.aspx

Regards
    //Anders

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:32 AM
  • Thanks Anders,

After watching the videos, It got me thinking, I was actually filling out the Runbook with the detail in the SR, so Text 1,2 etc would be filled in. I'm going to go ahead and create request and server offering for this like in the Travis videos, however I don't believe that mappings are the issue..

I've just created the service and request offerings and tried through the portal with the same result:

It does appear that the parameters are being parsed through to the runbook

thanks

Jason

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:32 AM
  • As a first step in the runbook you could add a temporary activity to write all the parameters to a file to confirm this.

Regards
    //Anders

• Marked as answer by Jason Schuster Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:29 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 10:09 AM