none
SCCM Run Once For Every User Who Logs On

Question

• If I have this set, how can I verify that it has run once for every user, all I see in the advertisement status is that in ran in context of User A.  How can I in logs or whatever verify it ran in context of User B?  Does it write an SMS key under HKCU then, I know there is the one under HKLM?

Also, if I have one package with two programs.  One program runs under system account, other under user (run once for every user).  I see the one advertisement in HKLM\SMS ran, but can't find the one that runs under user context which is in the same package.

Do I have to advertisement the thing to recur if I want run once for every user to work? Advertisement currently set to "Always Rerun Program"

HELP!

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:05 PM

Answers

• If one relies on the other, then it makes sense to have the app run the required app first.  ex. App A requires App B. App A is configured to run App B first.

Thanks,

Michael

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:05 AM

All replies

• If user B logs on, the advertisement status will also show that it ran again - everytime it runs the advertisement status will be updated. On the program, under environment tab set it to 'only when a user is logged on', then on the advanced tab set it to 'run once for every user who logs on'
    My Microsoft Core Infrastructure & Systems Management blog - blog.danovich.com.au
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:53 AM
  • if you need the application to be installed on machine and used by all the users irrespective who logged in so that all the users who logged into the machine can use the applications rather installing everytime when user logged in.

Are you trying to install the application for users or Machines?

There are some technical disadvantages when you deploy applications to users :

When you target users for software deployments you will lose the manageability of your environment there you link the advertisement to the logon of the users onto a computer within the Active Directory domain. Those users can log on/off wherever they want and therefore software gets installed on computers where this software wasn’t supposed to be available. This also makes this software also available for other users who shouldn’t have access to that specific software package.

Please click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you.

Eswar Koneti | My Tech blog: eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:04 AM
  • set it to run always rerun or only if failed previous?  does it need to recur?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Matt,

Seems that you actually have two questions here. 

The first question is answered by danovich_. There is also a reg key on the client machine that contains the Software Distribution history:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\Execution History

Second question about one Package with two Programs.

Eswar basically answers this question But to get further details, how do you have the Programs configured. Do you have one set to run the other first?

Thanks,

Michael

Friday, February 03, 2012 10:30 PM
  • No I have two separate advertisements, once for each program
    Monday, February 06, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Have you configured one to run the other first?

That setting is located in the Program Properties Advanced tab.

Monday, February 06, 2012 7:51 PM
  • No, I have not, since I have two advertisements, they are running separately.  Is this the best way (to have one program run the other) and then use one advertisement?

Monday, February 06, 2012 8:49 PM
  • If one relies on the other, then it makes sense to have the app run the required app first.  ex. App A requires App B. App A is configured to run App B first.

Thanks,

Michael

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:05 AM