none
Separate control of what SCCM services are installed on different servers

Question

•  

For most servers we will want to install a full range of services to allow updates ect BUT for other servers we will only want minimal install probably just for reporting.

Can you control independently what SCCM services are on what systems?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:15 PM

Answers

• Configuration manager does support the concept of individual "local policies" with different agents enabled or differently configured. The process of implementing local policies however isn't terribly intuitive.

Kim Oppalfens

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about SCCM site servers / site systems  or are you talking about the client component? If the latter: client agents can be enabled/configured on a site-basis, so you'd need separate primary sites.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Configuration manager does support the concept of individual "local policies" with different agents enabled or differently configured. The process of implementing local policies however isn't terribly intuitive.

Kim Oppalfens

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:33 PM
  • The only way to "limit" would be that all have the client for reporting.  Then you change your patch managment to contain collections that you want to patch.  So say you create a "Patch Tuesday" collection that has all your xp machines and a direct add of those machines to be patched.  Then you get basically what you want.  The ability to patch some but not all the server correct?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I know I can just not do patches to certain group of systems but the “requirement” would that I “could NOT” do it and that the other services that allow for change on that server are not running. So as I said I need some computers to have a different subset of installed agents. I will look at the local policies

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Here is a pointer to get you started:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc160924(TechNet.10).aspx

Kim Oppalfens

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:33 AM