none
How to clean out excess Windows Update files??

Question

• I synchronized our SCE 2010 RC server and it downloaded 12+ GB of MS/Windows Update files, 90+% of which will never be used!!
    What is the best way to clean them out and prevent the server from downloading so many files again??
    Downloading all the files should not be the default -- administrators or others in charge of SCE should be given OPTIONS on what to download and not download...I doubt anyone wants all the patches going back to Year 1000 BC, which it appears one gets when synchronizing...
    IMHO very bad implementation to fill up people's servers without asking permission to do so.
    I have SCE 2010 RC on a 25 GB VM and it is now completely full/useless because of this.
    Thank you, Tom
    Monday, February 01, 2010 2:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Tom,

While running the configuration for SCE, in products and classifications page "Configure how updates are downloaded" you can select Automatically.
    This feaure would only select those updates which are specific to your environment. This is the default setting in SCE RC, so that you do not get all other updates you do not care.

You can also make this changes from Administration space -> Settings -> Products and classifications ->In the Microsoft updates-> select Automatically.
    Note- this will not unselect the products which you have already selected but this is the recomended settings and would help if you are adding any new machines in future. this fetaure automatically detects all the products you have in your environement and selects only those updates to download.

Can you please make sure that in your update Classification you have not selected Drivers?

If you have already synched to many updates which you don't want there are couple of ways you can go:
    1. Go to updates space -> click "Configure Windows Server Update Services Maintenance" from Tasks -> you can select the tasks for cleaning up your machine from here. 
    2. Go to updates space -> click on all updates -> sort your updates by column Supersedence and you can manually decline the updates which have been superseded by other updates.
    3. you can also use the create new view from tasks -> updates -> new view and apply filters for the updates you dont want and bulk decline those updates.

Hope this would be helpful.

Thanks, Anshu

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hello Tom,

While running the configuration for SCE, in products and classifications page "Configure how updates are downloaded" you can select Automatically.
    This feaure would only select those updates which are specific to your environment. This is the default setting in SCE RC, so that you do not get all other updates you do not care.

You can also make this changes from Administration space -> Settings -> Products and classifications ->In the Microsoft updates-> select Automatically.
    Note- this will not unselect the products which you have already selected but this is the recomended settings and would help if you are adding any new machines in future. this fetaure automatically detects all the products you have in your environement and selects only those updates to download.

Can you please make sure that in your update Classification you have not selected Drivers?

If you have already synched to many updates which you don't want there are couple of ways you can go:
    1. Go to updates space -> click "Configure Windows Server Update Services Maintenance" from Tasks -> you can select the tasks for cleaning up your machine from here. 
    2. Go to updates space -> click on all updates -> sort your updates by column Supersedence and you can manually decline the updates which have been superseded by other updates.
    3. you can also use the create new view from tasks -> updates -> new view and apply filters for the updates you dont want and bulk decline those updates.

Hope this would be helpful.

Thanks, Anshu

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I must restart that VM to see what settings I have and try all your suggestions.
    I will update this thread either way.
    Those of you answering all our questions should get together and write a book. :)
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:24 PM
  • One more helpful item to note is that SCE will not download those updates that are not approved.  To remain as secure as possible, the initial wizard provides the option to automatically approve all security and critical updates to clients and servers.  This is probably good for your environment going forward, but if you had been well patch in the past it may have approved more updates than necessary to be downloaded.  Note that the updates required by the currently monitored SCE machines will appear in the Needed Updates view.

Monday, February 01, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I was under the impression that SCE only downloads useable updates to your environment... is this not the case?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I know I checked the options to download/approve critical/security updates.
    However, I have not had time to check our SCE installation
    Furthermore, there should be an option to say, decline/UN-approve all updates older than some range of choices, like 3/6/9/12 months, and this would take care of people who had already kept their servers patched.
    Then there should be an option which says 'Please display/enumerate all patches older than the timeframe I approved, and tell me if I need any of them, and *I* will decide which old patches I want.'
    I will update when I know more what SCE did, presently it's shut down so it can't get more updates etc.
    Thank you, Tom
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 6:26 PM