Virtual Machine Manager – General announcement
This forum is dedicated to questions about SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager). Please use good judgement to post your question to the relevant subforums.
If your question is not about this product, please find the correct forum here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?SiteID=17.
When posting a question or an issue, it is helpful to include the product version you have question about, your VMM setup environment, the steps you tried and specific error message you observed.
A few related forums for your ease of reference are:
Hyper-V (Server Virtualization) forum
Windows Powershell forum
WMI / WinRM issues:
Server Core forum:
Windows Failover Clustering forum:
For general information about troubleshooting VMM 2012, such as collecting traces and logging information, see VMM 2012 General Troubleshooting Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=211124) on the Microsoft Download Center. .
1. Install DebugView on the SCVMM server, the host in question, and/or the Web server (for troubleshooting self-service portal issues).
2. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsflags.cmd":
echo ODS control flags - only trace with set flags will go to ODS
if (%1)==() goto :HELP
if (%1)==(-?) goto :HELP
if (%1)==(/?) goto :HELP
echo Setting flag to %1...
reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine" /v ODSFLAGS /t REG_DWORD /d %1 /f
echo Usage: odsflags [flag], where flag is
echo TRACE_ERROR = 0x2,
echo TRACE_DBG_NORMAL = 0x4,
echo TRACE_DBG_VERBOSE = 0x8,
echo TRACE_PERF = 0x10,
echo TRACE_TEST_INFO = 0x20,
echo TRACE_TEST_WARNING = 0x40,
echo TRACE_TEST_ERROR = 0x80,
3. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odson.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
4. Save the following code into a text file and name it "odsoff.reg":
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
5. Copy the three files created above, odsflags.cmd, odson.reg, and odsoff.reg, to the machines that DebugView will be used on.
6. Run the following commands at an elevated Command Prompt:
(If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host or the Web server, make sure to run these commands on all of these computers).
1. Open DebugView as an administrator and ensure that both Capture Win32 and Capture Global Win32 are selected on the Capture menu item. You should be able to see tracing from the VMM components showing up in DebugView. (If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host, make sure to do these steps on all of these computers).
Figure 2: DebugView.exe Capture menu
2. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Service on the SCVMM server by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmservice
net start vmmservice
3. Restart the Virtual Disk Service by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vds
net start vds
4. Restart the Virtual Machine Manager Agent service on the host by running the following commands at an elevated command prompt:
net stop vmmagent
net start vmmagent
5. Restart the IIS service on the Web server by running the following command at an elevated command prompt:
6. Reproduce the issue.
7. After reproducing the issue, save the output from the DebugView to a text file for analysis.
Turn off tracing after collecting the data by running the following command at a Command Prompt:
The format of a DebugView trace differs from that of an ETL trace since DebugView captures all Win32 application activity and, if selected, Kernel mode activity. If saved as a text file, it may be opened in other tools such as TextAnalysisTool.net or Trace32.
Unanswered0VotesWe recently upgraded a VMM 2012 SP1 install to VMM 2012 R2 and noticed that VM templates no longer reference any path or library server when deploying a VM; both fields are blank. We have multiple ...
Unanswered0VotesBrand new install of VMM on Server 2012 R2 A couple of days later there were new updates to .Net, after which vmmservice.exe will simply not start Fantastic job ...
Unanswered0VotesAfter upgrading to SCVMM 2012 R2 (from SCVMM 2012 SP1) The VLAN ID isn't showing anymore, i know its still there because its showing in Hyper-V Manager. When you ...
Unanswered0VotesHello, When I try to create a virtual machine through SCVMM 2012 SP1 and explore "Available Storage", drive letter or mount path is not seen for third ...0 Replies | 23 Views | Created by sandeep_2013 - 14 hours 50 minutes ago
Unanswered0VotesIs it possbile to update existing template with VMM 2012 R2? for example: start the vm, update patch and shutdown? or we need to use Orchestrator to do this? ...
Answered2VotesWe have a SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1. We have installed a Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Datacenter with Hyper-V role active. We have added the host to SCVMM but the host status is "needs ...
Answered0VotesHi. I'm using SCVMM 2012 and I was wondering where are the SCVMM profiles and templates saved to. They don't seem to be under the default library path (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\Virtual ...
Answered0VotesHi, I have SCVMM R2 and my hosts are 2012R2. I have a bunch of VM Network configured, not using virtualisation just mapped to VLANs. I also have a bunch of VMs ...
Unanswered0VotesGreetings everyone, So, i have this problem for 4 days for now and i can't figure what's wrong with this. When i try to update a service template in VMM 2012 R2 ...
Proposed5VotesHi all I have a problem with the SCVMM 2012 console. When I start the console I select the "Specify credentials" option and then I enter my admin credentials. Afterward ...
Unanswered0VotesHi , I am facing a critical issue with my system centre virtual machine manager service . i am unable to start the service on my all scvmm clustered ...0 Replies | 67 Views | Created by muzammilubaray - Thursday, December 05, 2013 5:21 AM
Answered0VotesHi, I am testing Windows Azure Pack for Server using SC 2012 R2. I noticed that my VM Template is empty when accessing from Admin Portal, while it's actually not when accessing from ...
Unanswered0Voteswinrm e winrm/config/listener Listener Address = * Transport = HTTP ...
Unanswered0VotesHi I'm trying to add my Dell EqualLogic PS series storage array into SC VMM SP1 by following the steps outline on this ...
Unanswered0VotesOK, I have gone through this once before and didn't find a good answer: How do you get files added to a Library share to show up in the VMM console? I am running VMM 2012 R2 and I have a ...
- Items 1 to 20 of 3766 Next ›