none
To stop the SLA time

Question

• A lot of customers ask me to stop SLA timer when a incident is on a 3th party tier. But I think this is not a best practice. Whats the solution for this case? any workaround for SCSM 2010? and for SCSM 2012?
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 9:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe using the incident status "Pending" is an option? Waiting on a 3th party tier or user.

I wont stop SLA timers at all.

For instance:

There is an SLA for "Mail Service" between IT department (service provider) and business (consumer/customer) unit, lets say "Availability greater than 95%/week and "related incidents must be resolved within 5 hours".

As consumer/customer I don't care if  a 3th party tier is involved in an incident. I want to use the service in my business based on the SLA i made with the IT department.

As service provider I can't promise a SLA "Incidents must be resolved within 5 hours" if there is no SLA with the maybe needed/related 3th party tier or if the SLA with the 3th party tier won't fit (Incidents can be resolved within 3 days).

Best practice is to have certain SLAs with 3th party tiers as well.

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 10:24 AM
  • This example is according to Your consideration! If I have a 4 hours resolution SLA contract, and the Status is Pending (Affected User away from 6 hours period and I'm waiting his reply), my interest is to stop the SLA counter!  The problem is, that SCSM 2012 not supported the SLA counter running depend on Status. Have a plan to change it?
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:38 PM
  • I agree with Ametyst, the argument against being able to stop the SLA based on status is for a very specific example. In my case, we capture all requests from users in SCSM (e.g. even the creation of a new business report) and in a number of cases are not given all of the proper requirements. So in this case we are awaiting details from the user who raised the incident in the first place, and in my opinion the SLA clock should stop until such time as we are able to start work on it.

I too believe that certain statuses should stop the SLA clock.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:39 PM
  • I've raised this up before and currently, it cannot be done. Not even with Case Dimensions. I've had too many customers disappointed that this cannot be achieved in SCSM, and so this is one of my most hoped for feature in SCSM.
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:35 AM
  • I do not understand why anyone would want to stop an SLA. If an SLA breaches and there is a valid business reason for it what is the problem!. If you can stop an SLA then there might as well not be one as it has no validity.
    Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:39 AM
  • There a lot of valid arguments here. The challenge is not to stop the clock but to manage SLA expectations based on different scenarios.

Using the status is a best practice as you can report on SLA breaches due to a status of pending customer response as an example. SLA implementation in SCSM 2012 work with queues, so we can create queues based on a status and then set an appropriate SLO for that condition (for example assigned to 3rd party). In reality you can not stop time (regardless of product!!!); you are always extending the time and changing the reporting status to avoid SLA breach. Trying to engineer at the SCSM level to resolve a business process can lead to complex implementations that may not address the business requirement. In my opinion it is better to have a discussion with the business to agree on how to address the specific scenarios of pending user input and 3rd party assignment instead of complex engineering.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:45 AM
  • In 2010, we have a custom SLA solution that handles business hours and work days and holidays. Of course, most of this now comes with 2012.

However, we use P9 for "waiting on supplier" and have custom console tasks that reset the times (put on hold/take off hold). The clock still ticks, but we have an  SLA of 3 months for P9 so it is effectively "put on hold" for 3 months. As the timer still ticks, it cannot be completely forgotten about which is good.

In 2012 (soon) we will simply continue to use P9 for this but either a) won't setup any SLO for P9 or b) just have a similar long time for a P9 SLO.

Rob Ford scsmnz.net

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Anyway, You can found in SLA Status list the Paused value, see below. Have some functionality for it? Why contains it the SLA Status list, what is the plan of Microsoft developers? Wrote a blogger, that until Pause is On, the SLA time will "slide". This behavior same as, that SLA Counter have been  stopped? Unfortunatly, I think this is not supported in SCSM 2012, at this time !? 

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:35 PM