none
Could not contact the VMMSSP Server. Please Verify if the VMM SSP 2.0 service is up and running and try again

Question

• Deployment as follows:-

Server 1-WS2K08R2 Ent Sp1 with Hyper-V role and SCVMM 2008 R2 SP1 installed with default SQL 2005 Express DB.
    Server 2-WS2K08R2 Ent Sp1 with SCVMM SSP 2.0 SP1 installed SQL 2008 R2

Hyper-V, VMM console, SSP set up Infrastructure/BU Service/Roles etc all works swimmingly.

However as soon as I try and submit a request to create a VM from within SSP after filling out all the mandatory fields i get "Could not contact the VMMSSP Server. Please Verify if the VMM SSP 2.0 service is up and running and try again"

How can this be true if the entire SSP has been set up and configured already. It must be running or I wouldn't be able to access the portal on a browser!!

All the services are running and they all use the service same account. The Self service users are set and defined in VMM and have access to the host group. There are no errors in the VMM or SSP Server event logs.
    I am somewhat perplexed here so any help would really be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Friday, January 06, 2012 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

VMMSSP 2.0 does not support SQL 2005 express.  Are you able to import the VM Template from Settings : Virtual Machine Templates? Please try restarting the Virtual Machine Manager Self-Service Portal 2.0 Service. Also please let me know if you have changed your service account recently?  Please check if there are any errors in the "VMMSSPService" log file available in < Installtion folder\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Self Service Portal 2.0\Service>.

Thanks,

Santosh..

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Santosh

The SCVMM SSP is on a SQL 2008 R2 box as per my initial Server 2 specs.
    The services are all started and they use a service account that has a password never expires tab. I can import templates fine which is odd as thats clearly talking to VMM

Now when I try and create a VM I get a storage quota error. "Storage Quota is not enough. Available quota is 30 and request is 40
    My Infrastructure has a capacity of 16GB and 300GB storage, Service has capacity of 8GB RAM and 100GB Storage, template is 40GB

What is that looking at when it comes up with that? there is no mention of 30 anywhere

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure that you have sufficient quota in the Service in which you are creating the virtual Machine.  I think you have 30 GB quota availbale in the service in which you are creating the virtual Machine. Please increase that.

Thanks,

Santosh..

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Santosh I increased the quota (I did not realise I had used 70GBof the 100GB quota-schoolboy error :() I and now I get the 1228:Could not retrieve the virtual machine GUID from the VMM Server error again.
    See screenshot below

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi ,

Can you please check if there is any detailed error message in the Service log file? Is this issue for creating VM using any specif template or all templates?

Thanks,

Santosh..

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:46 PM