none
Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user

Question

• When I try to watch a report my SCE2010 server shows the error message "Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user xxxxxx\xxxxx.

I have as critical aler the following error message: Management Group: XXXXXXXX_MG. Script: GetSQL2008DBFreeSpace.vbs : Cannot login to database [server.domain.local][ESSENTIALS:SUSDB] 

The product knowledge shows as resolution "To configure discovery and monitoring accounts properly, please see “Security Considerations” section in the Management Pack Guide.", but where do I find the Management Pack Guide?

I tried to log into SQL Server 2008 Management Studio, but I seem to have not sufficient credentials, even when I installed SCE with its SQL. It brings an error 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified (Microsoft SQL Server).

When I check the installed software, I see SQL Server 2008 (64-bit) an dSQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1.

Any ideas what could went wrong?

Mike

Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

The error "Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\sceagentname'" indicates that the user does not have the required rights within the SUSDB database.  Could we validate what permissions are present for the user DOMAIN\sceagentname? 

Within SQL Management studio, select the SUSDB database, right-click and Properties.  From there select Permissions and identify the user DOMAIN\sceagentname. 

What permissions does the user DOMAIN\sceagentname have for the SUSDB?  can you connect SQL Management Studio when using the credentials for the DOMAIN\sceagentname user?

Thank you!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Mike Schumak Monday, March 12, 2012 4:07 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the method in question 8 and see how it works:

Frequently Posted Questions and Answers
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/c44515cb-fb8b-4472-a3d4-a17fa6729a03/

If the issue persists, please also check the accounts:

Data Warehouse SQL Server Authentication Account
    Reporting SDK SQL Server Authentication Account

SCOM2007 - Login failed for user '<Account name>'.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/edwalt/archive/2007/09/27/2060972.aspx

In addition, I also noticed the following post, please also refer to it:

SCE 2010 Reporting, Essentials Reports not working
    http://erickoo.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/sce-2010-reporting-essentials-reports-not-working/

Hope this helps。

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you areTechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:45 AM

• Hi,

Please try the method in question 8 and see how it works:

Frequently Posted Questions and Answers
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/systemcenter/thread/c44515cb-fb8b-4472-a3d4-a17fa6729a03/

If the issue persists, please also check the accounts:

Data Warehouse SQL Server Authentication Account
    Reporting SDK SQL Server Authentication Account

SCOM2007 - Login failed for user '<Account name>'.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/edwalt/archive/2007/09/27/2060972.aspx

In addition, I also noticed the following post, please also refer to it:

SCE 2010 Reporting, Essentials Reports not working
    http://erickoo.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/sce-2010-reporting-essentials-reports-not-working/

Hi Nicholas,

here are my findings:

- When I browse to the URL http://localhost:80/reports[$ESSENTIALS] regarding to the article I get a error "HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

When I use SQL Server Management Studio, I'm able to log on to SERVERNAME\ESSENTIALS and be able to see the databases ReportServer$ESSENTIALS and SUSDB.

- I checked the two accounts like you proposed, they are both blank as described in the article. Therefore my SCE serviceaccount should be used.

- I've added the the "Select" permission to the computeraccount  like it was stated in the third link. Rebooted the server.

Unfortunately nothing helped so far. I still get the folowing error when I run a report:

Note:  The following information was gathered when the operation was attempted.  The information may appear cryptic but provides context for the error.  The application will continue to run.

Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot create a connection to data source 'WSUSDatabase'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'CLGROUP\usaus-sceagent'.
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.GetParameters()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Reporting.Parameters.ReportParameterBlock.Initialize(ServerReport serverReport)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ReportForm.SetReportJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
    Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot create a connection to data source 'WSUSDatabase'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\sceagentname'.
    Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\sceagentname'.

Any more ideas?

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:48 PM

• Hi,

Please open Reporting Services Configuration Manager and check the following:

1. The Report Service is started.
    2. The Execution Account is set to SCE Administrator account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you areTechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:18 AM

• Please open Reporting Services Configuration Manager and check the following:

1. The Report Service is started.
    2. The Execution Account is set to SCE Administrator account.

Hi Nicholas,

I did the following:

1. Checked Reporting Services, which were running fine.

2. Checked the executipon account, which was set correctly. Reapplied the password. Seemed to work.

I browsed around in the admin GUI of reporting services adn found the URL of reporting services.

• When I acchttp://server/ReportServer_ESSENTIALS, I saw the directory content.
    • When I accessed the second link I had to authenticate. When I used the sce_serviceaccount I couldn't continue because the authentication window reappeared. When I authenticated with my admin account I could run some reports withou problem.

I tried to access reports through the SCE 2010, still no luck.

Do you have more ideas where to look?

Mike

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Still no idea?

Pleas give me a hint, this problem drives me nuts...

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Hi ,

The error "Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\sceagentname'" indicates that the user does not have the required rights within the SUSDB database.  Could we validate what permissions are present for the user DOMAIN\sceagentname? 

Within SQL Management studio, select the SUSDB database, right-click and Properties.  From there select Permissions and identify the user DOMAIN\sceagentname. 

What permissions does the user DOMAIN\sceagentname have for the SUSDB?  can you connect SQL Management Studio when using the credentials for the DOMAIN\sceagentname user?

Thank you!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Mike Schumak Monday, March 12, 2012 4:07 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:08 AM
  • How can a person that does not have permission on the SUSDB look at the properties....? Yep when I click on properties it says you do NOT have permission, because you cannot login.

Any other ideas here?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Have them give you login rights 
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:52 PM