none
How to make a known computer unknown

Question

•  

Hi,

I've already posted this to the General Forum and I was suggested to post here.

Anybody has the answer ?  I know I could do this without doing another advertisement to another collection ?

How can I delete a computer from SCCM database to make it an unknown computer ?

For example, I want to deploy a new OS Image to a computer that already have an OS and I don't want to create another TS for this.  I already have a TS advertised to "All Unknown Computer" collection that deploy an OS Image.

When I delete the computer account in A.D. and the computer in SCCM "All Systems" collection and Update Collection Membership of all collections, I cannot boot to PXE because it is a known computer.

I have test it and leave a system over the week-end, the computer became effectively unknown.  I can I force the computer to become unknown to SCCM, so the process would be immediate ?

Thanks to all,

Dominic

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:22 AM

Answers

• Deleting the record from "All Systems" is enough to make the computer 'unknown' to the SCCM site. However, the PXE server may still have the record for that client in its cache, that is why it thinks that the client is 'known'. You can wait for the PXE server to clear its cache, or you can re-start the PXE server, which will clear the cache.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:42 PM

All replies

• Is the problem with the client on the PC?  Try uninstalling the ccmexec, then delete the account in SCCM.  I don't think deleting the account in AD would make a difference, since it just needs to be re-discovered by SCCM, but I don't think it would HURT anything, either.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Deleting the record from "All Systems" is enough to make the computer 'unknown' to the SCCM site. However, the PXE server may still have the record for that client in its cache, that is why it thinks that the client is 'known'. You can wait for the PXE server to clear its cache, or you can re-start the PXE server, which will clear the cache.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:42 PM