none
SCOM 2012 DISCOVERING LINUX "Unspecified failure"

Pregunta

• Hi,

When i try to discover a Centos 6.2 i receive a "Unspecified failure", but i have added another Centos 6.2 without problems.

I install the agent in the Centos and sing the certificate, and i discover it with winrm:

winrm e http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/SCX_Agent?__cimnamespace=root/scx -username:USER -password:PASS -auth:basic -r:https://SERVER:1270/wsman -encoding:UTF-8

The result is OK, but i still having the discovery problem in the console, any idea?

Can I set the manager of the server manually from the linux server?

Can i add the server to the SCOM with a WinRM command?

--------------------------------------------------- Result of the Winrm command

SCX_Agent
        Architecture = x64
        BuildDate = 2012-01-14T00:00:00Z
        BuildNumber = 206
        Caption = SCX Agent meta-information
        Description = Labeled_Build - 20120114
        ElementName = null
        HealthState = null
        Hostname = prug2gdb01
        InstallDate = 2012-06-14T15:06:37Z
        KitVersionString = 1.3.0-206
        LogicalProcessors = 4
        MachineType = Virtual
        MajorVersion = 1
        MinActiveLogSeverityThreshold = INFO
        MinorVersion = 3
        Name = scx
        OSAlias = RHEL
        OSName = CentOS Linux
        OSType = Linux
        OSVersion = 6.0
        OperationalStatus = null
        PhysicalProcessors = 1
        RevisionNumber = 0
        Status = null
        StatusDescriptions = null
        UnameArchitecture = x86_64
        VersionString = 1.3.0-206

Unexpected DiscoveryResult.ErrorData type.  Please file bug report.
    ErrorData: Microsoft.SystemCenter.CrossPlatform.ClientLibrary.Common.SDKAbstraction.TaskInvocationException
    Task invocation failed with error code -2130771918. Error message was: The SCXWSManProbeAction module encountered an unexpected exception. The workflow "Microsoft.Unix.WSMan.Discovery.Task" has been unloaded.

Module: SCXWSManProbeAction

Management group: XXXXX

Workflow name: Microsoft.Unix.WSMan.Discovery.Task

Object name: All Management Servers Resource Pool

Object ID: {4932D8F0-C8E2-2F4B-288E-3ED98A340B9F}

at System.Activities.WorkflowApplication.Invoke(Activity activity, IDictionary`2 inputs, WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensions, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.Activities.WorkflowInvoker.Invoke(Activity workflow, IDictionary`2 inputs, TimeSpan timeout, WorkflowInstanceExtensionManager extensions)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CrossPlatform.ClientActions.DefaultDiscovery.InvokeWorkflow(IManagedObject managementActionPoint, DiscoveryTargetEndpoint criteria, IInstallableAgents installableAgents)

Salvador Gil Director de Proyectos Grupo Conese S.L.

miércoles, 20 de junio de 2012 17:09

Todas las respuestas

• Hi

Today i worked on the same issue.

What account are you trying to use for the discovery, is it SSH key , sudo account? 

Can you send me the detail.

My guess is, you are using SSH, please make it less privilaged when using SSH key and in the next page add the user verification account. 

It should work,.

Regards

Chandan

Check my blogs at http://blogs.technet.com/chandanbharti ============================================================ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

jueves, 21 de junio de 2012 18:02
  • Hi,

I solve my problem, i think its a BUG in the discovery i reported to the SCOM team via Twitter.

The problem is the user password if contains some of these characters $%& , when i change the password to 12345 for example, the problem dissapears.

Regards

Salva

• Propuesto como respuesta loplim martes, 26 de junio de 2012 10:05
    viernes, 22 de junio de 2012 0:44
  • Salvador,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I can confirm from my testing that a "&" symbol in a password produces this error.  However, I have tried multiple combinations with "%" and "$" and do not see any problems with these characters. Did you try these characters without the "&" character in a password? We will investigate the issue with the "&" symbol.

Thanks,

Kris

www.operatingquadrant.com

martes, 26 de junio de 2012 20:29
  • Salvador,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I can confirm from my testing that a "&" symbol in a password produces this error.  However, I have tried multiple combinations with "%" and "$" and do not see any problems with these characters. Did you try these characters without the "&" character in a password? We will investigate the issue with the "&" symbol.

Thanks,

Kris

I dont try these characters without the &, then i think the problem is in the character &

miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012 10:38
  • Salvador,

Thanks,

Kris

Sorry to resurrect this post, but is there any chance this "&" issue will be solved in SP1? We have hundreds of Unix servers with very complex passwords and many have the & in the password.
    viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2012 15:18
  • Yes, the ampersand problem is fixed in the upcoming SP1 release.   The fix is *not* present in the Beta milestone of SP1 that is available for download now, but the fix has already been made will be present in the final ship milestone for SP1.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, System Center Cross Platform

viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2012 15:46
  • Yes, the ampersand problem is fixed in the upcoming SP1 release.   The fix is *not* present in the Beta milestone of SP1 that is available for download now, but the fix has already been made will be present in the final ship milestone for SP1.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, System Center Cross Platform

Awesome. Thank you!
    viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2012 15:48
  • Good day Steve and Team,

I am Trying to discover Linux Redhat version 5.1 and the SCOM Agent SCX-1.3.0-2064.rhel.5.x64.rpm is what we used.

Linux version:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)

Kernel version:

Linux LINUX-DEV 2.6.18-8.el5

The only issue that happens when I replace the certificate (on the Linux server) with the signed scx file from SCOM, the SCX Service does not want to start. So because of this, the Linux administrator left both files on the directory On Linux server.

I followed this link on creating the Run As Profiles (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh476947.aspx) and (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212926.aspx)

At some point the discovery runs too long before it gives me the same error.

Some times it shows me one bar (Progress of the discovery for too long - then shows the same erro)

Please if you can assist.

Thanks Kindly Regards TMB

miércoles, 08 de mayo de 2013 10:00
  • Why dont you try enabling verbose logging for SCX

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee373752.aspx

PS:as this thread is closed, i would suggest new thread for quick responses

miércoles, 08 de mayo de 2013 10:20
  • Hi Chandan

Trying it out will let you know if it helps

jueves, 09 de mayo de 2013 13:05
  • Good day all,

I am still having issues with this, please assist,

The certificates now works fine with the scx_new.PEM file.

There is nothing that Comes on to the logs, the discovery just runs for long without success. Both on Linux server and Ops Mgr Events.

On trying to install the MP

Please see the version of SCOM - running in the lab, where I am trying, please if you can point me top the correct MP's for this below version;

to discover the Linux Red hat server.

jueves, 09 de mayo de 2013 15:17
  • Debug view should tell me where its stuck. Try running debug view or enable debug module while discovering. Above link will help doing that. 

Look into each file created. Hopefully product is not expired as it looked eval. Check discovering other machine as well. 

See if your run as accounts are properly configured. you have several links to get help on that. Debug module should point you to right right direction however 

viernes, 24 de mayo de 2013 14:26