none
SCE wmiprvse.exe 100% CPU

Question

• Hi

I have System Centre Essentials running on a dual Intel Xeon server and every time the server is restarted the wmiprvse.exe process takes 100% of the CPU, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lonnex

mercredi 17 octobre 2007 07:26

Réponses

• Hi Lonnex,

Please click the link below to download the hotfix for this issue.

High CPU utilization generated by the wmiprvse.exe process
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0638D919-109B-41C6-851D-0BE19D29172E&displaylang=en

If the hotfix cannot help, I suggest that we perform a clean reboot. It will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer. I knew that a similar case was caused by Xerox 35 workcenter print driver. And using the Xerox 45 workcenter print driver corrected that issue.

To perform a clean boot, please follow these steps.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)

2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All". 

3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)

4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Just for your reference, backup and then clean the event log files periodically will speed up the WMI query runs. By reducing the number of entries in the event log files from thousands to hundreds, we can greatly improve the performance of the WMI query.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Yog Li
    Microsoft Online Community Support

jeudi 18 octobre 2007 08:54
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Hi Lonnex,

Please click the link below to download the hotfix for this issue.

High CPU utilization generated by the wmiprvse.exe process
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0638D919-109B-41C6-851D-0BE19D29172E&displaylang=en

If the hotfix cannot help, I suggest that we perform a clean reboot. It will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your computer. I knew that a similar case was caused by Xerox 35 workcenter print driver. And using the Xerox 45 workcenter print driver corrected that issue.

To perform a clean boot, please follow these steps.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE. (MSCONFIG is a built-in tool for Windows XP\2003 systems.)

2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click "Disable All". 

3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during start-up.)

4) Restart the computer. Does the problem still persist?

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Just for your reference, backup and then clean the event log files periodically will speed up the WMI query runs. By reducing the number of entries in the event log files from thousands to hundreds, we can greatly improve the performance of the WMI query.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Yog Li

jeudi 18 octobre 2007 08:54
    Modérateur
  • Hi Yog

I am experiencing the same issue with System Centre Essentials 2007 and am unable to apply the above mentioned hotfix because it will only install on systems running SMS 2003...is there a similar fix for SCE 2007?

Many thanks

James

vendredi 11 janvier 2008 19:18
  • Hi James,

Please try to download and import the following MP to your SCE server:

OpsMgr 2007 MOM 2005 Backward Compatibility MP Update
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=655CDD06-861E-4342-99B2-8A81E09F6546&displaylang=en

If it doesn't help, try the clean boot first. And then you can also post this issue on Windows Server 2003 Newsgroups, for this could be a issue caused by the operating system.

Windows Server 2003 Newsgroups
    http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/windowsserver/bb841405(en-us).aspx

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

lundi 14 janvier 2008 11:53
    Modérateur
  •  

Hello - I am having this same problem (wmiprvse.exe at 100%) on an XP Pro Workstation.  What is the fix for this? I can only find the fix for servers.

Thanks,

Kathie

jeudi 10 avril 2008 17:54
  • I too am experiencing this symptom on Windows XP Pro SP3 with every current patch applied as of 5/27/2008 on a brand new Dell Optiplex 330 (with Dual Core).  After running for awhile, wmiprvse.exe takes BOTH CPUs taking 100%.  Immediately after a reboot, however, it only takes full control of one cpu (overall CPU utilization at 50%.)  I will take the advice of Yog Li and use msconfig and attempt to limit this to a specific non-microsoft startup application.  I will post what I discover with my specific configuration.

mardi 27 mai 2008 16:25
  • Using msconfig.exe, after disabling every non-Microsoft service that was part of my start-up, I rebooted and STILL have the wmiprvse.exe running at 50% (100% of one of my 2 CPUs). After looking through my below processes that are still executing, is there anything else that I should disable and test again?

Code Snippet

Image Name       User Name       PU Mem Usage

alg.exe          LOCAL SERVICE   00   3,484 K

CcmExec.exe      SYSTEM          00  19,352 K

CDWC.exe         me              00  11,020 K

csrss.exe        SYSTEM          00   3,756 K

ctfmon.exe       me              00   4,480 K

explorer.exe     me              00  26,052 K

GoogleToolbar... me              00     476 K

jusched.exe      me              00   2,388 K

lsass.exe        SYSTEM          00   1,452 K

NBPClientush.exe me              00   8,740 K

PDVDDXSrv.exe    me              00   6,400 K

PrintScreen.exe  me              00   6,664 K

rundll32.exe     me              00   4,552 K

rundll32.exe     me              00   5,788 K

services.exe     SYSTEM          00   3,284 K

smax4pnp.exe     me              00   5,476 K

smss.exe         SYSTEM          00     400 K

spoolsv.exe      SYSTEM          00   4,872 K

svchost.exe      SYSTEM          00   5,412 K

svchost.exe      NETWORK SERVICE 00   4,432 K

svchost.exe      SYSTEM          00  26,352 K

svchost.exe      NETWORK SERVICE 00   5,640 K

svchost.exe      LOCAL SERVICE   00   4,456 K

System           SYSTEM          00     256 K

System Idle Pr...SYSTEM          47      28 K

taskmgr.exe      me              02   5,252 K

TeaTimer.exe     me              00  40,780 K

VPTray.exe       me              00   7,804 K

winlogon.exe     SYSTEM          00   5,756 K

wmiprvse.exe     SYSTEM          50   6,140 K

wmiprvse.exe     SYSTEM          00   5,356 K

mardi 27 mai 2008 18:10
  • Hi

as of today I am experiencing 99% cpu uby wmiprvse.exe on my Win XP hp nx8220 2 gig ram notebook.

samedi 31 mai 2008 09:42
  • This happened to us as well after applying SCE 2007 SP1 to our server.  We are running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 on IBM hardware and we are fully patched.  Prior to SCE SP1, utilization was normal.  We rebooted the system after the installation and suddenly we started experiencing the high utilization on wmiprvse.exe.  We performed a fresh reboot but we're still getting same results.  I'm skeptical of implementing the fixes proposed in this thread as none of them seem to be related directly to SCE.  Has anyone made any progress on this?

Thanks,

lundi 9 juin 2008 17:16
  • We too have had numerous problems running SCE on some of our servers. I would install the agent on some of the servers and then unexpectedly, at random intervals, they would simply pin the CPU, causing people access problems, etc. I originally thought it might be a VMWare problem, posted a question here to see if I could isolate SCE and VMWare as the problem, but I received an answer that I expected "Microsoft doesn"t support SCE in a VMWare environment".

I originally bought SCE to be able to give availability reports to the bosses, but it has become somewhat useless as I have had to remove SCE from our exchange server, our Intranet server and our Terminal server.

Once the CPU is pinned on the servers, I just go in and remove the SCE agent, reboot and everything is fine. I will then go in and push the agent back again. I have some servers where this has worked for quite awhile, but also have had ones that lasted about 1 day and then it was pinned at 100% again.

So basically, I am now down to using SCE as an update server and to monitor a couple of database servers and thats it. I am totally reluctant to install on mission critical machines now.

Overall, I have been fighting with SCE for over 6 months now and have found it to be quite lacking in features.

Why didn't Microsoft offer a "30 server limited" version with all of the features of SMS? 

mardi 10 juin 2008 14:15
  • Hi,
    I had the same trouble with XP home and tracked it down to a problem created by HP Toolbox which was installed for my HP Laser printer. Stopping the toolbox process with task manager immediately lowered the cpu usage and when halting the wmiprvse, it did not restart. I've downloaded the latest version of HP software, and will try again later. If you have an HP laser printer and have the Toolbox running, it is very likely the culpret.

Hope this helps,

Don
    • Proposé comme réponse Carbophos vendredi 28 décembre 2012 05:42
    mardi 10 juin 2008 18:58
  • Hi.

Now I understand. I had the same trouble too after installing HP LJ 3052 network printer. Process wmiprvse.exe was using about 80% of CPU.

Thank You, Don.

vendredi 28 décembre 2012 05:40