none
VMM Console looses connection to host (2008 R2 SP1)

Question

• Seemingly at random, about once every 2-3 days, the VMM console looses connection to the VMM server. This sometimes happens to everyone connected to the VMM server at the same time and on other times only individual connections are lost and others are kept alive.

Pressing reconnect works.

I am not aware of any network issues, there are no logs corresponding to this event on clients or server.

lundi 5 mars 2012 16:49

Toutes les réponses

• Hi Jarek,

Is it SQL Server for VMM installed on the same machine or are on other server? If SQL server is installed on other machine I think that is the problem. If you want to avoid such a problem install VMM on the same server where SQL is installed.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Blog: Admin troubles
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

mardi 6 mars 2012 07:44
  • Thanks for your reply, Romeo.

SQL IS on the same server. It is a relatively high end physical box that is 100% dedicated to VMM. Size of VirtualManagerDB is 1.8GB, log is about 260MB - nothing out of ordinary.

JO

mardi 6 mars 2012 13:35
  • Hi Jarek,

I would suggest two possible solutions. The first, disable UAC on your VMM server and the second but less secure, create a new user with domain administrator privilege and add it to VMM admins group.

Romeo Mlinar
    MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP
    Blog: Admin troubles
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

mardi 6 mars 2012 14:30
  • Hi

i am facing the same issue tried one of your method by disabling the UAC but still no luck.

Syed Kasif

mercredi 7 mars 2012 13:02
  • any update on this guys

Syed Kasif

jeudi 8 mars 2012 10:10
  • Changing UAC might have effect only on console that is run ON the VMM server. So that solution is out. Using Domain Level Admin for this goes against all security rules and recommendations. Besides, this cannot be a security issue as the issue occures once in a while from various users - security does not "loose connection" once in a while.

So, no, no resolution or any viable suggestions here so far.

JO

jeudi 8 mars 2012 13:13
  • Are you hosting Linux VMs with IC's 3.1 ?

Please check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2586286

"The kernel version returned by the Linux guest’s KVP (Key Value Pair) Exchange is longer than expected. This causes an unhandled exception in SCVMM and the service crashes. This new feature is enabled by default in the integration components"

You may need to disable KVP on the Linux guest VMs or upgrade IC to 3.2

Regards

mardi 13 mars 2012 12:30