none
VMMInstallDetector service hangs during P2V Gather System information

שאלה

• Can someone please help me?  I'm trying to do a P2V of a Vista SP1 system.  I've verified that I can talk WMI to the target system as well as access the admin$ share.  The Gather System Information screen in the wizard hangs.  It will hang for hours if I let it.  On the target system, there is a VMMInstallDetector service that is stuck in a starting state.  I have to reboot the system to get it to stop.  The P2V agent will install manually, but doesn't get me through this point in the wizard.  I don't get any VMM logs at this point, nothing in the event log on the server or the client, and no error codes on the screen.  I'm truly at a loss.  Someone at Microsoft, please help!

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    יום חמישי 13 אוגוסט 2009 20:14

תשובות

• Microsoft Virtualization experts helped me with this offline.  The solution was to uninstall the VMMInstallDetector service (with SC), then reboot the source machine, and then manually install vmmp2vsource2k3.msi.  Once I did that, I was able to get through the scan system dialog and complete the P2V.

Closing...

Jim
    יום שני 31 אוגוסט 2009 16:15

כל התגובות

• IS your vista client 32/64bit? because VMMM doesnt support convertion of 32bit Vista client
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT http://hyperv.virtualozzy.com (Your step to Virtualization) Please mark as an answer if you feel it is.
    יום שישי 14 אוגוסט 2009 06:18
  • Yes, it is 32-bit.  Where is this documented?  According to the TechNet website, VMM 2008 R2 supports conversion of Vista SP1 32-bit and 64-bit.

Jim
    יום שישי 14 אוגוסט 2009 15:04
  • Here it is posted here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764232.aspx

Requirements on the Source Machine

To perform a P2V conversion, your source computer:

• Must have at least 512 MB of RAM.
    • Must have an Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS – Vista WinPE will not install on a non-ACPI BIOS.
    • Must be accessible by VMM and by the host computer.
    • Cannot be in a perimeter network (also known as a DMZ, demilitarized zone, and screened subnet) where the firewalls or IPsec settings prohibit communication.
    • Must contain one of the following supported operating systems:

• Windows Server 2008 (32-bit)
      • Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)
      • Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) SP1 or later
      • Windows Server 2003 (64-bit) SP1 or later
      • Windows 2000 Server SP4 or later (Offline P2V only)
      • Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 or later (Offline P2V only)
      • Windows XP Professional (32-bit) SP2 or later
      • Windows XP Professional (64-bit) SP2 or later
      • Windows Vista (32-bit) SP1 or later
      • Windows Vista (64-bit) SP1 or later

Jim

יום שישי 14 אוגוסט 2009 15:05
  • Well if you are on R2 edition yea it does. Is firewall turned on from the source machine?

Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT http://hyperv.virtualozzy.com (Your step to Virtualization) Please mark as an answer if you feel it is.
    יום שישי 14 אוגוסט 2009 23:07
  • Microsoft Virtualization experts helped me with this offline.  The solution was to uninstall the VMMInstallDetector service (with SC), then reboot the source machine, and then manually install vmmp2vsource2k3.msi.  Once I did that, I was able to get through the scan system dialog and complete the P2V.

Closing...

Jim
    יום שני 31 אוגוסט 2009 16:15
  • Jim,

It has been a while now.

Can you share how you uninstall VMInstallDetector service?

Thank you.

יום שני 05 אפריל 2010 19:13
  • Where do you locate vmmp2vsource2k3.msi ?
    שבת 09 אוקטובר 2010 16:21
  • Hi John JY and Matt Powers,

You can uninstall VMInstallDetector service as follow:

- Use command SC to delete the related services on source machine. Open command with administartor permission and input sc delete VMMInstallDetector

or

- Delete registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/VMMInstallDetector" using Regedit.exe. After you deleted this key, you need to restart your machine.

To locate vmmP2VSource2K3.msi

1. Log on to Vmm server and find the file named “vmmP2VSource2K3.msi” from path <Vmm installation folder>/agents/p2v/

Note:

• For windows server 2000,
      please choose vmmP2VSource.msi
    • Folder amd64 for 64 bitmachine, folder i386 for 32 bit machine
    • vmmP2VSource2K3.msi is for all OS released after Windows server 2003 (including 2K3) so it is ok to copy it to windows server 2008 X64 based computers.

2. Copy the file to source machine and manually install the vmmP2VSource2K3.msi

3. Then retry P2V actions on VMM server.

יום חמישי 15 מרץ 2012 05:10