none
Hyper-V Guest OS (Exchange) slow perfromace

שאלה

• Hello.

I am facing very strange issue with a Guest OS which is on Hyper-V (2008 R2)

thereare three VMs configured on Hyper-v other Two systems are working fine propely no issue

one VM which is configured as Exchange server is very very slow, NW card we configured as Team

We rebooted that server (Hyperv-V and guest servers too) but not luck

guest OS which is slow has good resources like 4 Process, 6 GB memory 1.17 TB HDD (Local Disk) also utilization of these resouces not more than 20-30%

do you have any suggestion on this to resolve this?

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 10:50

כל התגובות

• Hi,

Can you explain the type of connections ? I mean, the hyper-v server is connected to a SAN or the VMs are stored locally on the hypervisor ?

Which type on disk ? SCSI/SAS/FC ?

The VM is slow after Exchange installation ? which type of teaming have you setted ?

Did you execute some tests of performance on this VM ?

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 11:37
  • There is some best practices to install Exchange on a Vm:

you can read the following articles :

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/migration-deployment/running-exchange-2010-on-hyper-v-r2.html

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2428

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 11:40
  • Hello Raynald,

Thanks for your reply

VMs are stored on Locally on the Hypervisor and Disk type is SAS

Broadcom teaming we are using

This VM is very old almost 2-3 years and we have started facing this issue 2-3 days back only

No i have not ran any test for performance measurement tool,

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 12:01
  • Ok,

first ideas:

- The teaming is enabled on the VM ? It is not necessary, because there is 10gb/s threshold between VM and hypervisor. I think a teaming on the hypervisor is a better solution. But if you want to configure the teaming on the vm, you need to configure it with virtual machine settings (VLMB)

- Can you check the CPU and RAM used on the VM and tell me if it's normal or full (100 % CPU and/or 100% RAM)

- if this issue appears since only 2-3 days, maybe some patchs or update has been installed on, not ?

- when you say it is very slow, is it to access it from LAN (test a ping for example) or it's only when you are connected with Remote connection ?

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 13:33
  • -CPU usage is only 10-20 % only not more than that

-Slow means accessable from LAN (it take 5 -6 min for showing me shared folder), Latency is very high like 200MS and when i connect to Remote connection it take almost 15 min for login and for accessing any Apps it's take 10-15 min for opening and We have configured exchange 2003 on it and queue take 5-10 min for clearing few mails from the queue and some time queue get stuck

and if i copy anything on network from that machine it take 5-6 hrs for 4 GB file on the same network

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:21
  • sorry forgotton to add about patches, we have not installed any latest updates/patchs  on it

regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:23
  • ok, and there are no changes on the network infrastructure on the last days ?

can you explain your virtual network config ? there is teamong on the hyper-v ? teaming on the host ? both ?

Also, is it possible to add another virtual network from hyper-v wich is linked to another physical network card, and add it to your exchange server and test a ping and/or copy to it. If there is no slow with this card, the issue is on the virtual network (hyper-v or vm side), if it's the same issue, maybe an issue with the network infrastructure (not on hyper-v) and/or with the OS of your vm.

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:33
  • oups, another idea, no issue with the disk space of the VM ? and/or on the hypervisor ?

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:34
  • No issue with Disk confirmed from both the server

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:43
  • ok, so you will have to verify the network usage on the task manager, then test a second network vcard, like as I explain on my previous answer

יום שלישי 05 יוני 2012 14:47
  • Network usage in the Task mager not more than 10%

One more thing i observed, i increased number of CPU and after that also it's very slow

Second thing, Previously LAN speed was showing 10GBPS and now it's just showing 100MBPS, do u have any clue on this?

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שישי 08 יוני 2012 07:49
  • Hi,

I think the LAN speed cannot change from 10GBS to 100MPS without modification. Have you make any changes on the virtual lan configuration ?

Can you decrease the number of CPU and confirm that resolves the slowness ?

best regards

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי Raynald Chaffaux יום שני 11 יוני 2012 15:23
    יום שישי 08 יוני 2012 09:04
  • Hello,

We added another Lan Card into the guest OS and that's is showing speend 10GBPs and after this issue resolved now

Thanks for all your suggestion and help on this

Regards,

Swapnil

Regards, Swapnil Jain

יום שני 11 יוני 2012 08:50